Introduction to Health and Safety in Construction
Published July 5th 2011 by Routledge – 724 pages
Introduction to Health and Safety in Construction is the definitive handbook for the National Certificate in Construction Health and Safety from NEBOSH (May 2010 specification), with each element of the syllabus explained in detail, and all the relevant legislation summarised for quick reference. To make studying easier, each chapter starts with learning objectives and ends with questions taken from recent NEBOSH examinations, and a chapter of sample answers can be found at the end of the book.
This book covers the specific health and safety challenges faced by the construction industry, as well as the basics of occupational health and safety in general. It covers all the essential elements of health and safety management, the legal framework, risk assessment and control standards, and includes checklists, report forms and record sheets.
The books is also relevant for built environment and construction courses both in the UK and overseas, as well as providing a handy reference for managers and qualified professionals dealing with day-to-day health and safety issues.
New to this edition:
A companion website with downloadable tutor and student support materials, including editable PowerPoint slides and a set of full colour electronic ‘spot the hazard’ inspection exercises is available at: www.routledge.com/cw/hughes
"An excellent study aid for those engaging in the new NEBOSH Construction Certificate syllabus"
--Lawrence Webb, MIOSH, RSP, AIEMA, Costain Limited & International SHE Manager
List of principal abbreviations
1. Health and safety foundations
3. Organizing for health and safety
4. Promoting a positive health and safety culture
5. Risk assessment
6. Principles of control
7. Monitoring review and audit
8. Incident investigation, recording and reporting
9. Construction law and management
10. Construction site issues - hazards and control
11. Movement of people and vehicles - hazards and control
12. Manual and mechanical handling hazards and control
13. Work equipment hazards and control
14. Electrical hazards and control
15. Fire hazards and control
16. Chemical and biological health hazards and control
17. Physical and psychological health hazards and control
18. Working at height - hazards and control
19. Excavation work and confined spaces - hazards and control
20. Demolition - hazards and control
21. Summary of the main legal requirements
22. International aspects of health and safety in construction
23. Study skills
24. Specimen answers to NEBOSH examinations