Essentials of Elementary Social Studies is a comprehensive, teacher-friendly text that provides crucial information for effective classroom instruction. Praised for its dynamic, problem-solving approach, this text highlights creative and active strategies for teaching elementary social studies.
New to this Edition
This fourth edition has been significantly refined and updated to best support teachers through new topics and strategies including:
- A new chapter on technology with a focus on digital history, media literacy, teaching with film, and other types of impactful technologies for the social studies classroom.
- A new chapter on lesson plans, designed to provide elementary teachers with 14 classroom-tested lesson plans, including two classroom-tested lessons for each grade level (K-6).
- A new chapter on diverse learners highlights methods for teaching social studies to diverse student populations.
- Each chapter now includes a “Resources” section to provide readers with key sources for further investigation.
- Each chapter now includes an “Extension” activity, providing readers with the opportunity to extend the learning experience through relevant and meaningful scenarios. Instructors can also use the extensions as a class activity.
- Each chapter now includes a “Focus” activity, which gives the reader a chance to prepare for the learning experience. Instructors can also use the focus activity as a class activity.
What Instructors Are Saying about Essentials of Elementary Social Studies, 4th Edition
“For years, teacher educators have depended on Essentials of Elementary Social Studies to motivate creative teaching in the social studies. This revised edition retains the strengths of previous editions, while striking a teacher-friendly balance between theory and practice. The chapter on creative dramatics sets this methods textbook apart from its competitors.”—Dr. M. Gail Hickey, Professor of Educational Studies, College of Education & Public Policy, Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne, USA
“Focused on core topics such as standards, planning, assessment, and technology, Essentials of Elementary Social Studies provides the reader with strategies for creative and effective K-6 social studies instruction. The array of lesson plans included in the book reinforce the importance of social studies in culturally diverse classrooms, making this the ideal text for anyone wishing to teach elementary social studies today.”—Dr. Jesus Garcia, Past President of the National Council for the Social Studies and Professor, Department of Teaching and Learning, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, USA