This book deals with the narratives of water to watt, which includes elementary conceptual design, modern planning, scheduling and monitoring systems, and extensive pre- and post-investigations pertaining to hydropower facilities. It also includes explorations to ensure aspects of dam safety evaluation, effective contract management, specialized construction management techniques, and preferred material and equipment handling systems. Special emphasis is placed upon health, safety, environmental, and risk management concepts. The book discusses a standard QA/QC system to measure and assure quality and an environmental impact assessment to reach the set target in the stipulated timeline within the approved budget.
- Offers comprehensive coverage of hydro-structures and practical coverage from an industry perspective
- Helps readers understand complexity involved in large-scale interdisciplinary projects
- Provides good insights on building procedures, precautions, and project management
- Includes project planning, construction management and hydropower technology, QA/QC, HSE, and statutory requirements
- Illustrates how to integrate good constructability/buildability into good design for the best monetary value
Table of Contents
1. Introduction. 2. Planning, Project Cost Estimation and Future of Small Hydro Power (SHP) Large Hydro And Its Various Schemes. 3. Concept of Forces Acting on Gravity Dam & its Stability. 4. Contract & Administration Management. 5. Site Mobilisation and Kick-Off. 6. River Diversion. 7. Reinforcement Cutting and Bending Yard. 8. Investigation & Exploration of Dam & Reservoir Site. 9. Construction Methodology of Dam Foundation and Technology of its Foundation Treatment. 10 Concrete and its application in concrete gravity dam. 11. Design Requirement For Temperature control in Mass Concrete. 12. Joints in Concrete Structures. 13. Quality Assurance and Quality Control(QA/QC). 14. Health, Safety & Environment HSE. 15. Fabrication and Erection of Steel Structure & Penstock. 16. Environmental Assessment of Hydro Power Project. 17. Estimation & Cost Analysis of Hydro Power Project. 18. Hydro Electric Power House.
Suchintya Kumar Sur is Visiting Professor at Jaipur National University and former Head of the Department of Civil Engineering at Jaipur Engineering College and Research Centre. He had also served as Vice President (Construction) at M/s Reliance Industries Ltd, Mumbai and Manger Construction at Engineers India Limited, New Delhi, and SDO in North Eastern Electric Power Corporation Ltd, Shillong. He has expertise in the construction of a major hydel project in Limestone Valley and was instrumental in completion of the world’s largest grassroots oil refinery and oil refining hub in Jamnagar, India in record time which became a landmark of Indian success in the global market. He is equally adept in handling of mechanical underground and above ground piping networks with high temperature and pressure, along with erection and commissioning of dynamic, static, and rotary equipment’s. He has flair in earthquake engineering and design of RCC structures.