A Practical Guide to Scientific Writing in Chemistry Scientific Papers, Research Grants and Book Proposals
Successful completion of postgraduate studies, especially PhD, and career advancement in academia strongly depend on the ability to publish scientific papers or books and attract research grants. However, many chemical scientists find preparing scientific papers and research grant and book proposals difficult; partly because of insufficient training in writing and partly because there are few practical books to enable them to learn the art. This step-by-step practical guide is intended mainly for postgraduate students and early career researchers in chemical science and the libraries that serve them but will also be useful to other scientists.
- Improves the reader’s chances of getting their manuscript published in chemistry journals.
- Increases the likelihood of winning research grants in chemistry.
- Takes a “lead by the hand” approach.
- Contains chapters on the preparation of graphical abstracts and research highlights.
- Uses sketches and other illustration styles to aid mental visualization of concepts.
- Contains practical examples taken from published papers and successful research grant proposals.
1. Concept and Overview 2. Getting Ready 3. Research Paper Title 4. Authorship, Acknowledgements, Competing Interests and References 5. Textual and Video Abstracts 6. Keywords 7. Graphical Abstract 8. Highlights 9. Introductory Section of a Research Paper 10. Materials and Methods 11. Results Section of Research Papers 12. Discussion Section 13. Conclusion Section 14. Summary of Research Paper Sections 15. Short Communication Papers 16. Review Papers 17. Perspective Papers 18. Cover Letters 19. The Publishing Process 20. Poster Presentation 21. Oral Presentations 22. Research Grant Proposals 23. Grant Proposal Title and Applicants’ Details 24. Grant Proposal Abstract 25. Research Proposal Introduction 26. Background & Literature Review of a Research Grant Proposal 27. Methodology of a Research Grant Proposal 28. Budgeting 29. Timeline 30. Summary of Research Grant Components 31. Research Grant Proposal Review Process 32. Book Proposals APPENDIX I. General Resources on Writing APPENDIX II. Point-by-point responses to peer-review APPENDIX III. Sample Grant Proposals APPENDIX IV. Sample Book Proposal