This jargon-free book has been specially written for teaching assistants taking up posts in primary schools working at NVQ Level 2 and 3 of the National Occupational Standards of Teaching Assistants. It covers every area of primary education, including:
- an overview of primary education
- the qualities, knowledge and skills needed
- the curriculum
- managing behaviour
- evaluation and record-keeping
- professional development.
Joan Dean knows primary education inside out and is well known in the field. She uses case studies based on real life scenarios to provide a detailed yet accessible book, making it essential reading for teaching assistants. This guide will also offer support and advice to staff working with teaching assistants and to those who provide their training.
Table of Contents
1. About Primary Education 2. The Role of the Teaching Assistant 3.The Information You Will Need 4. The Qualities, Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes Needed 5. The Children 6. Teaching and Learning 7. The Foundation Stage 8. The Core Subjects – English 9. The Core Subjects – Mathematics 10. The Core Subjects – Science 11. The Foundation Subjects 12. Managing Behaviour 13. The Learning Environment 14. Providing for All Children 15. Evaluating and Record-keeping 16. Professional Development 17. Conclusion
Joan Dean has worked in all areas within primary education: as a teacher, headteacher, LEA advisor, and OfSTED inspector. She was awarded an OBE for her services to education, and is widely respected by teachers for knowing what she is talking about. She has published a number of books in the field – see below for sales of the RoutledgeFalmer titles.