ASEAN and India–ASEAN Relations Navigating Shifting Geopolitics
This book analyses the nearly 30 years of India–ASEAN relations from a contemporary perspective, identifies the reasons for India’s vibrant and significant relation with ASEAN and examines the cultural, economic, political and strategic linkages between India and ASEAN.
The book projects the future of India–ASEAN relations in the face of the changing Indo-Pacific geopolitics and explores potential policies which could enhance the connection between India and Southeast Asian countries. Arguing that ASEAN is of primary importance to India, the book suggests that any successful outing in the Indo-Pacific would need a strong partnership with India. The book demonstrates how external powers influence ASEAN, with many of them supporting the centrality of ASEAN and its regional architecture in the broader Indo-Pacific. Chapters by experts in their fields present thematically specific analyses of political, defence, maritime and cultural aspects as well as the position of Northeast India in the India–ASEAN relations and assess the success and challenges of India’s ties with ASEAN in the context of the Look East and the Act East Policies.
A reassessment of ASEAN–India relations past and present, this book will be of interest to academics and policy makers working in the field of International Relations, Asian Politics and South Asian Politics, in particular India’s Foreign Policy and Southeast Asian Politics.
1. Introduction - ASEAN And India: Navigating Shifting Geopolitics
Part I ASEAN AND THE EMERGING SECURITY ARCHITECTURE
2. ASEAN at 50: External Actors and Its Relevance
3. ASEAN and the Emerging Contest over Natural Resources
4. ASEAN-led Regional Security Architecture
Udai Bhanu Singh
Part II ASEAN AND INDIA: POLITICAL AND STRATEGIC LINKS
5. The US, India and ASEAN: Convergences and Challenges
6. ASEAN in India’s "Act East Policy"
Gitanjali Sinha Roy
7. ASEAN and Northeast India: Through the Panorama of ‘Look East’ and ‘Act East’
8. India’s Defence Diplomacy in Southeast Asia: Exploring New Avenues
9. India-ASEAN Maritime Cooperation: Need for a Proactive Approach
Joshy M. Paul
Part III ASEAN AND INDIA: CULTURE, COMMERCE AND CONNECTIVITY LINKS
10. Culture and Connectivity: The Salience of 2Cs in India-ASEAN Relations
11. ASEAN-India Trade and Commerce Ties: Issues, Prospects and Challenges
12. India’s Engagement with its Diaspora in Southeast Asia: A Neglected Diaspora?
S.Y. Surendra Kumar
13. ASEAN-India Relations: A Soft Power Approach
Doan Truong Thu
Part IV FUTURE OF ASEAN AND INDIA-ASEAN TIES
14. The Future of ASEAN and India-ASEAN Relations
Quach Thi Hue
15. Engaging ASEAN: India’s Strategy and Policy Options
“This is a well-written, comprehensive volume by Dr. Mayil and his colleagues that takes stock of the varied issues in the 27 years of India–ASEAN ties. The book covers topics across security, connectivity, trade, culture and people-topeople dimensions, all written by a fine group of young scholars from India and Vietnam, which will make it appealing not only to area studies experts but also to the general audience. Highly recommended.”
– Dr. Dharish David, Associate Faculty, University of London—SIM-Global Education, Singapore
“This is not only a timely but also a relevant contribution to Indo-ASEAN relations amidst Covid-19 and the global power transition. ASEAN and India–ASEAN Relations: Navigating Shifting Geopolitics sheds light on strategic and security affairs with a specific focus. This volume is crafted to be a spellbound reading as it reveals unique insights on soft-balancing to maintain security, peace, stability and prosperity in ASEAN region as well as in the Indo-Pacific region at large. Dr. Mayil, one of the well-known scholars on strategic and security affairs related to India and its neighbourhood, empowers a young and experienced group of analysts to know more on “Politics is the art of the possible, the attainable—the art of the next best”!”
– Mr. Khin Maung Soe, Advisor, Myanmar Institute of Strategic and International Studies, Yangon, Myanmar
“An extremely insightful work on the evolving dynamics and changing contours of India’s relations with the Association of Southeast Nations (ASEAN). An indispensable work for a better understanding of the shifting geopolitics and emerging security architecture in the Asian region.”
– Prof. Jatswan S. Sidhu, Executive Director, Asia-Europe Institute (AEI), Kuala Lumpur, University of Malaya