Acting: Make It Your Business
How to Avoid Mistakes and Achieve Success as a Working Actor
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after October 19, 2020
In Acting: Make It Your Business Second Edition, award-winning casting director Paul Russell puts the power to land jobs and thrive in any medium – stage, film, TV, or the Internet – directly into the hands of the actor.
This blunt and practical guide offers a wealth of advice on auditioning, marketing, and networking, combining traditional techniques with those best suited for the digital age. Well-known actors and powerful agents and managers make cameos throughout, offering newcomers and working professionals alike a clear-eyed, uncensored perspective on survival and advancement within the entertainment industry. This second edition has been updated and expanded to include:
- More stars of screen and stage sharing acting career strategies.
- Digital audition techniques for screen and stage, including how best to self-tape.
- New tools to master modern marketing, both digital and traditional with innovation.
- Expanded actor resource listings.
- Additional bi-coastal talent agents and managers spilling secrets for obtaining representation, and tips for successful actor-to-representation partnerships.
- New insights on audition techniques.
An excellent resource for beginning and amateur actors, as well as students in Acting I and II, Auditions, and Business of Acting courses, Acting: Make It Your Business provides readers with invaluable tools to build a successful, long-lasting acting career.
Table of Contents
1. Working Actors Speak Out: Candor and the Business 2. Being an Actor: A Tough Love 3. Training for the Actor: Tend Your Dreams 4. The Picture and Résumé: An Actor’s Business Card 5. Cover Letters & Email: Covering Your Assets 6. Actor Marketing: Set Yourself Apart from the Crowd 7. Auditions Actors Encounter: Are Your Auditions Safe? 8. Audition Preparation: Be First, First 9. Audition Strategies: Leaving a Lasting Impression 10. Negotiating the Contract: Get It On Paper 11. Rejection: "Thanks for Coming in..." 12. Agents & Managers: An Introduction 13. Agents & Managers: Finding One 14. Agents & Managers: Keeping One 15. Exit Lines: Parting Advice
Paul Russell’s career as a casting director, director, and former actor has spanned over forty years. He has worked on projects for major film studios, television networks, Broadway, and regionally. He directs for leading regional theaters, and teaches master classes to actors at universities and colleges.
Praise for the First Edition:
"Humorous and witty… Actors everywhere who are trying to succeed in the business, young or old, on stage or on camera, in New York or anywhere in the world, take note: This is your road map." – Bernard Telsey, casting director (This Is Us, The Greatest Showman, Tales of the City, Hamilton)
"All the right questions asked and answered…and with a generous portion of good humor." – Suzanne Ryan, casting director (Law & Order, Unforgettable)
"Paul’s book made me proud to be a part of the acting community in this business we call, ‘show.’" – Karen Ziemba, actress, Tony and Drama Desk Award winner
"A necessity for any actor. Read it again and again. Listen…and learn." – Richard Rose, producing artistic director, Barter Theatre
"Paul Russell’s words are not only blunt and accurate. They zero in on all the questions every actor wants to know but is afraid to ask." – Ken Melamed, talent agency partner, Bret Adams, Ltd.