Now in a vibrantly revised second editon, Acting: The Basics remains a practical and theoretical guide to the world of the professional actor, which skilfully combines ideas from a range of practitioners and linking the academy to the industry. Retaining a balance between acting history, a discussion of pioneers and a consideration of the practicalities of acting techniques, the new edition includes a discussion of acting for the screen as well as the practicalities of stage acting, including training, auditioning and rehearsing. With a glossary of terms and useful website suggestions, this is the ideal introduction for anyone wanting to learn more about the practice and history of acting.
Table of Contents
1. A Brief History of Acting
2. ‘I Can Do That’: Actor-Training. 3.
3. ‘You Got the Part!: Auditions.
4. ‘Building a Character’: Rehearsal Processes.
5. ‘Another Opening, Another Show!’: Performance Practices.
6. ‘Passing the Baton’: Eleven Executors of Acting.
Glossary of Terms
Bella Merlin is Professor of Acting and Directing at the University of California, Davis, Riverside, as well as an actor and trainer.