The SEND Code of Practice (2015) reinforced the requirement that all teachers must meet the needs of all learners. This topical book provides practical, tried and tested strategies and resources that will support teachers in making art lessons accessible and interesting for all pupils, including those with special needs. The authors draw on a wealth of experience to share their understanding of special educational needs and disabilities and show how the art teacher can reduce or remove any barriers to learning.
Offering strategies that are specific to the context of art teaching, this book will enable teachers to:
- develop students’ understanding, appreciation and enjoyment of art and design;
- advance students’ sense of enquiry about visual and tactile experiences;
- help pupils to realise their creative intentions, through the development of technical competence and manipulative skills;
- provide opportunities for personal and imaginative enquiry;
- sample a variety of art and design projects to use in their own lessons;
- plan the classroom layout and display to enhance learning;
- successfully train, and fully use the support of, their teaching assistants.
An invaluable tool for continuing professional development, this text will be essential for secondary art teachers (and their teaching assistants) seeking guidance specific to teaching art to all pupils, regardless of their individual needs. The book will also be of interest to secondary SENCOs, senior management teams and ITT providers.
Full of practical ideas and inspiration, and supported by free online resources, this is an essential tool for art teachers and teaching assistants and will help to deliver successful, inclusive lessons for all pupils.
A few words from the series editor
Chapter 1 Meeting special educational needs and disabilities: your responsibility
Chapter 2 What can art and design offer pupils with SEND?
Chapter 3 Projects to use with pupils who have SEND
Chapter 4 Real pupils in real classrooms
Chapter 5 Monitoring and assessment
References and useful websites