The SEND Code of Practice (2015) reinforced the requirement that all teachers must meet the needs of all learners. This topical book provides practical, tried and tested strategies and resources that will support teachers in making RE lessons accessible and interesting for all pupils, including those with special needs. The author draws on a wealth of experience to share his understanding of special educational needs and disabilities and show how the RE teacher can reduce or remove any barriers to learning.
Offering strategies that are specific to the context of RE teaching, this book will enable teachers to:
- create a supportive environment which maximises learning opportunities;
- plan the classroom layout and display to enhance learning;
- help students of all levels to gain confidence in their reading and writing ability;
- stimulate discussion and develop thinking skills through using stimuli such as religious art, music, artefacts and films;
- successfully train and fully use the support of their teaching assistants.
An invaluable tool for continuing professional development, this text will be essential for teachers (and their teaching assistants) seeking guidance specific to teaching RE to all pupils, regardless of their individual needs. This book will also be of interest to SENCOs, senior management teams and ITT providers.
In addition to free online resources, a range of appendices provide RE teachers with a variety of writing frames and activity sheets to support effective teaching. This is an essential tool for RE teachers and teaching assistants, and will help to deliver successful, inclusive lessons for all pupils.
Table of Contents
Introduction 1. Meeting Special Educational Needs: Your Responsibility 2. The Inclusive Religious Education Classroom 3. Teaching and Learning 4. Monitoring and Assessment 5. Managing support 6. Real pupils in Real Classrooms References and Contacts Appendices
Dilwyn Hunt works as an independent RE adviser working in schools and for local authorities and SACREs.
- Download All
- Appendix 5 Reciprocal discussion
- Appendix 6 Spelling
- Appendix 7 The writing process
- Appendix 8 An RE writing frame
- Appendix 9 Starter activities
- Appendix 10 A useful model lesson structure
- Appendix 11 Guidance for teaching assistants
- Appendix 12 Relationships between teachers and TAs
- Appendix 13 Does prayer work human bar chart
- Appendix 14 Community of enquiry
- Appendix 15 The Crucifixion two views
- Appendix 16 The Good Samaritan
- Appendix 17 Pyramid activity
- CPD audit
- Model departmental SEND Policy