This practice-based text offers a roadmap to optimal collaboration for all school leaders – including counselors, superintendents, principals, and university faculty – to provide the best mental health outcomes for students.
Administrative Leaders and School Counselors is a timely publication that creatively and cohesively authenticates the relationship between administrative leaders and school counselors. In order to systemically promote mental health consciousness and considerations for school counselors as practitioners and in training, collaboration among school leaders is essential for comprehensive school counseling programs, practices, funding, partnerships, and services designed for students. The first to feature perspectives from a diverse set of leadership positions in schools, the book provides individuals with exposure to educational leadership models and decisions that impact the roles of school counselors.
The book will appeal to faculty who are teaching and training those who are or will ultimately be working as professional school counselors, counseling psychologists, or educational leaders such as principals, directors, department chairs, and superintendents.
Part 1: Incorporating a Foundation of Mental Health in School Counseling
1. Mental and Behavioral Health in Schools
Judy A. Nelson, Lisa A. Wines, Natalie Fikac
2. School Counselors’ Perspective of Mental Health in Schools
3. Promoting Positive Mental Health in Changing Times
4. Restorative Practices that Support Student Mental Health Concerns
Part 2: Integrating Mental Health in the Development and Training of School Counselors
5. Leadership Models for School Counselors to Promote Mental Health
Sandy Benavidez and Natalie Fikac
6. Training School Counselors in Graduate Programs to be Mental Health Conscious
Judy A. Nelson and Lisa A. Wines
7. Student Development and Performance in Academics, Intrapersonal, and Dispositions for School Counselors-in-Training to Address Mental Health Needs
Lisa A. Wines
8. Dynamic School Counselor Professional Development Focusing on Continuous Mental Health Education
9. Site Supervision and Mentorship: Practices that Influence Positive Mental Health in Schools
Sandy Benavidez and Kimberly McGough
Part 3: Examining Mental Health Expertise in the Hiring and Retention of Highly Qualified School Counselors
10. Character and Disposition as Necessary Measures of Success for School Counselors’ as Mental Health Professionals
11. What Directors Need to Know about the Comprehensive School Counseling Programs that Support Student Mental Health
12. Interviewing and Placement of School Counselors to Include Mental Health Practices
Amy Cmadalka, Laurie Rodriguez and Carla Voelkel
13. Creating & Maintaining the Best School Counseling Team for Mental Health and Wellness Crow
Monya Crow and Jill Adams
Part 4: Developing, Designing, Implementing, and Evaluating Comprehensive School Counseling Programs Utilizing a Mental Health Perspective
14. Managing Programs that Support Mental Health
15. Mental Health Considerations for District and School Level Crisis Prevention, Intervention, and Postvention Plans
16. Data Collection and Analysis Supporting Systemic Approaches to Mental Health
17. Accountability Measures for Positive Mental Health
18. Utilizing Budgets, Grants, Donations, and Financial Audits to Support Mental Health
Seretha Augustine and Judy A. Nelson
19. Partnerships that Streamline Mental Health Services in Schools
Part 5: Professional Advocacy to Ensure Mental Health Services for all Students
20. School Counselors Advocating for Mental Health Practices
21. Administrative Leaders and School Counselors Advocating for Supporting Mental Health in Their Programs
"With the need for mental health services, at an all-time high, this book comes at the right time. This is not only a book for school counselors, but also for administrators as they develop their team to better envelope the whole child. Administrative Leaders and School Counselors: Building on Theories, Standards, and Experiences for Optimal Mental Health Collaboration is a must read for future school counselors and those that lead them."
Dr. Don Beck, Ed.D., Superintendent Marion ISD
"Administrative Leaders and School Counselors: Building on Theories, Standards, and Experiences for Optimal Mental Health Collaboration provides an exceptional roadmap filled with evidenced-based resources, relevant information from experts in the field and equips administrative leaders and counselors with the tools necessary to create a system that embraces the plate on which all education rests, student mental wellness. As a former Director of Student Services, professional school counselor and licensed clinician, I highly recommend this book as go-to resource for both administrative leaders and school counselors."
Dr. Jennifer Roberts, Ed.D., LPC-S, CSC, Regional Director for HOPE Squad