- Over 1,400 pages of economic and demographic statistics, wide-ranging directory material and authoritative articles
- Contributions from over 50 leading experts on African affairs
- Incisive analysis of the latest available information.
- Thoroughly revised and updated analytical articles written by acknowledged experts covering the issues affecting the area as a whole: Reforming Africa: Continuities and Changes; Economic Trends in Africa South of the Sahara 2006; Health and Medical Issues in Sub-Saharan Africa; The Privatization of Security in Sub-Saharan Africa and European Colonial Rule in Africa
- A political map of contemporary Africa and a chronological list of the dates of independence of African countries.
Individual chapters on every country incorporating:
- an introductory survey, containing essays on the physical and social geography, recent history and economy of each country
- an extensive statistical survey of economic indicators, which include area and population, health and welfare, agriculture, forestry, fishing, mining, industry, finance, trade, transport, tourism, media and education
- a full directory containing names, addresses and contact numbers for key areas such as the government, political organizations, diplomatic representation, the judiciary, religion, the media, finance, trade and industry, tourism, defence and education
- a useful bibliography, providing sources for further research.
- Detailed information on the following: regional organizations; major commodities; calendars, time reckoning, weights and measures; research institutes concerned with Africa and a select periodicals bibliography.
'A well-balanced, well-judged and remarkably comprehensive volume.' - Times Literary Supplement
'This is probably the best reference work available on this part of the African continent.' - Reference Reviews