A definitive one-volume guide to all sub-Saharan African countries, providing invaluable economic and directory data.
- over 1,500 pages of economic and demographic statistics, wide-ranging directory material and authoritative articles
- contributions from over fifty leading experts on African affairs
- incisive analysis of the latest available information.
- Thoroughly revised and updated analytical articles written by acknowledged experts covering the issues affecting the area as a whole, including: Economic Trends in Africa South of the Sahara; Health and Medical Issues in Sub-Saharan Africa; State Failure in Africa; A Century of Development; China’s Expansion into Africa; European Colonial Rule in Africa; Peace and Security Architecture and The Threat of Organized Crime to West Africa.
- A political map of contemporary Africa and a chronological list of the dates of independence of African countries.
Individual chapters on every country incorporating:
- an introductory survey, containing essays on the physical and social geography, recent history and economy of each country
- an extensive statistical survey of economic indicators, which include area and population, health and welfare, agriculture, forestry, fishing, mining, industry, finance, trade, transport, tourism, media and education
- a full directory containing names, addresses and contact numbers for key areas such as the government, political organizations, diplomatic representation, the judiciary, religion, the media, finance, trade and industry, tourism, defence and education
- a useful bibliography, providing sources for further research.
Detailed information on the following: regional organizations; major commodities; calendars, time reckoning, research institutes concerned with Africa and select bibliographies of books and periodicals.
'A well-balanced, well-judged and remarkably comprehensive volume.' - Times Literary Supplement
'This is probably the best reference work available on htis part of the African continent'-- Reference Reviews