A definitive one-volume guide to all sub-Saharan African countries, providing invaluable economic, political, statistical and directory data.
- over 1,500 pages of authoritative articles, economic and demographic statistics and wide-ranging directory material
- contributions from over 50 leading experts on African affairs
- incisive analysis of the latest available information.
- thoroughly revised and updated analytical articles written by acknowledged experts covering the issues affecting the area as a whole, including: Economic Trends in Africa South of the Sahara; Health and Medical Issues; State Failure in Africa; A Century of Development; Chinese Stakes in Sub-Saharan Africa; European Colonial Rule; Peace and Security Architecture; Information and Communication Technology in the East African Community; and Terrorism and Trafficking in West Africa
- a political map of contemporary Africa and a chronological list of the dates of independence of African countries.
Individual chapters on every country incorporating:
- an introductory survey, containing essays on the physical and social geography, recent history and economy of each country
- an extensive statistical survey of economic indicators, which include area and population, health and welfare, agriculture, forestry, fishing, mining, industry, finance, trade, transport, tourism, communications media and education
- a full directory containing names, addresses and contact details for key areas such as the government, political organizations, diplomatic representation, the judiciary, religion, the media, finance, trade and industry, tourism, defence and education
- a useful bibliography, providing sources for further research.
Detailed information on the following: regional organizations; major commodities; calendars; research institutes concerned with Africa; and select bibliographies of books and periodicals.
Table of Contents
Part 1: General Survey. Economic Trends in Africa South of the Sahara. A Century of Development: Policy and Process in Sub-Saharan Africa. State Failure in Africa: Causes, Consequences and Responses. Health and Medical Issues in Sub-Saharan Africa. The African Peace and Security Architecture: Building a Viable Continental Peace and Security Mechanism. The Consolidation of Chinese Engagement in Sub-Saharan Africa. Understanding the Links Between Terrorism and Trafficking in the Sahel. European Colonial Rule in Africa. Part 2: Country Surveys. Angola. Benin. Botswana. British Indian Ocean Territory. Burkina Faso. Burundi. Cameroon. Cape Verde. The Central African Republic. Chad. The Comoros. The Democratic Republic of The Congo. The Republic of The Congo. Cote D'Ivoire. Djibouti. Equitorial Guinea. Eritrea. Ethiopia. Gabon. The Gambia. Ghana. Guinea. Guinea-Bissau. Kenya. Lesotho. Liberia. Madagascar. Malawi. Mali. Mauritania. Mauritius. Mozambique. Namibia. Niger. Nigeria. Reunion. Rwanda. Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha. Sao Tome and Principe. Senegal. Seychelles. Sierra Leone. Somalia. South Africa. Sudan. Swaziland. Tanzania. Togo. Uganda. Zambia. Zimbabwe. Part 3: Regional Information. Regional Organizations. Major Commodities of Africa.
'A well-balanced, well-judged and remarkably comprehensive volume.' - Times Literary Supplement
'This is probably the best reference work available on this part of the African continent.'- Reference Reviews