This book should prove valuable in relieving stress and anxiety, especially important nowadays as the journey from diagnosis to cure or death is longer due to improvements in medical treatments. Healthcare workers and the general public worldwide would benefit as death is universal. The writing style is engaging and easy to read, yet highly informative. I would recommend this book to my patients and their families and friends.
Dr. Suzanne Ward
BMED FRAGP General Medical Practitioner
This easy to read manual is invaluable reading following a life-threatening medical diagnosis. It is a comprehensive, clear and concise guide which can help reduce stress and improve healing potential. Written by a Registered Nurse (ret) who worked in the USA, UK, and Australia, she discusses why expressing fears soon after diagnosis can be beneficial for healing.
- Whatever the diagnosis, Cancer, Heart Attack, Stroke, Parkinson’s Disease, etc., you, your family, friends and colleagues will have worries and fears about your future. Reducing fears and stress early on gives more positive room for healing.
- This manual is indispensable for Doctors and Nurses, encouraging them to learn why and how discussing fears early on is a positive healing opportunity rather than being negative.
- Various complementary therapies are discussed to use in combination with traditional medicine, maximizing healing opportunities.
- While we plan for births and marriages, we find it difficult to talk and plan for our deaths, even though none of us escapes it! This book provides tools and suggestions for preparing Wills, Advanced Directives, and listing assets and wishes at whatever age, the sooner the better. Being prepared makes life so much easier for all.
- Learn how to live a more content, peaceful life alongside your family, friends, neighbors and globally. Life is not a dress rehearsal. Learn how to live fully NOW.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Introduction Will I Survive This Illness? What’s Next ….?
CHAPTER ONE "Sorry to Have to Tell You ….."
- Diagnosis, shock, taking control
CHAPTER TWO Facing the Fear to Help You Heal
- How Discussion of Fears Can Reduce Stress
- How Stress Negatively Impacts Your Physically, Mentally, Emotionally. Stress Cycles.
- Encouraging Patients, Families, Friends and Health Professionals to Discuss Fears Soon After Diagnosis
CHAPTER THREE Knowledge About Death and Dying Reduces Stress
- We all will die someday
- Information increases control, reducing stress
CHAPTER FOUR Fix, Cure or Heal? Going for it All "To Life!" Fix,
Outlines of surgery, radiotherapy, chemotherapy various self-help and complementary therapies.
Integrating therapies to increase healing potential.
CHAPTER FIVE "Put Yourself in My Shoes Doctor"
Encouraging health professionals to talk about fears soon after initial diagnosis.
Not ‘being negative’ but actually improves healing potential.
CHAPTER SIX Life, Death and Life After Death
Why are we hear? Life choices, near death experiences,
the other side, reincarnation theories
CHAPTER SEVEN Get Ready to Say Goodbye Soon or at Age 100+
Wills, advanced directives, funeral wishes, financial affairs, power of attorney. Information lists
CHAPTER EIGHT Terminal Time. Are You Ready to Go?
Palliative and hospice care. Pain control, quality time, organ donation, euthanasia issues.
Optimal dying Process. Having a ‘good’ death.
CHAPTER NINE Dealing with Life Afterwards
Help for the Bereaved. Practical To-Do Lists, Grief
CHAPTER TEN ‘Avoiding the Void’ No Longer
Cease numbing out with substance abuse, meditation, self-care, choices for a fuller life
CHAPTER ELEVEN ‘NIRVANA’ Here and Now
Spiritual Beings in Human Bodies. Making Peace with Yourself and others, harmonizing your life
CHAPTER TWELVE Tools for Living Life Fully Now!
Blank Pages for Your Notes
Carolyn Hornblow, as a Registered Nurse, worked on three continents for over thirty years in various specialties including Intensive Care and Advice Nursing. She then had her own Complementary Therapies Clinic for fifteen years. She brings her knowledge in an easy to read format. Inspired to write this book over three weeks she felt that a different approach to life-threatening illness was needed.
This book should prove valuable in relieving stress and anxiety, especially important nowadays as the journey from diagnosis to cure or death is longer due to improvements in medical treatments. Healthcare workers and the general public worldwide would benefit from this book as death is universal. The writing style is engaging and easy to read, yet highly informative. I would recommend it to my patients and their family and friends.
Dr. Suzanne Ward, BMED, FRACGP
General Medical Practitioner
A must read.
E. Anne Jack R.G.N. S.C.M.
Registered Nurse and Midwife (ret)
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
The Author provides helpful, practical suggestions and has empathy with these issues.
RN with 40 Years Experience
Northern California, USA
This is an important resource for a large, needy population: a very useful guide for those facing serious disease that requires long term treatment. Carolyn is intuitive and experienced in these issues and provides excellent coverage of the topic in an easy to read format. I would have found it useful when I was in medical practice before retiring.
Richard Gracer, MD, DABFM, DABAM
Family Medicine and Pain Management Specialist
Carolyn is a caring, professional nurse and teacher who shares clear tools and helpful ideas for people at all levels, deepening their understanding life, living, dying and death.
Founder of ‘A Center for Inner Peace’
Instructor of ‘A Course in Miracles’
Northern California, USA
A book whose time has come.
Michael C. Blank, R.N.