Agricultural Biotechnology, Biodiversity and Bioresources Conservation and Utilization
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after April 21, 2022
This book covers a range of important topics on crop and animal genetics, breeding and genomics, as well as biodiversity and genetic resources conservation and utilization reflecting three thematic sections of working groups of the Biotechnology Society of Nigeria. The topics range from agricultural biotechnology including genetically-modified organisms and gene-editing for agronomically-important traits in tropical crops, to Nigeria’s mega biodiversity and genetic resources conservation. This book will engender a deeper understanding of underpinning mechanisms, technologies, processes and science – policy nexus that has placed Nigeria as a leader in biotechnology in Africa. The book will be a useful reference material for scientists and researchers working in the fields of food and agricultural biotechnology, bioinformatics, plant and animal genetics, breeding and genomics, genetic resources conservation and enhancement.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Crop Genetics, Breeding & Genomics
Handling Editor: Olawole Obembe
1. Biotechnology As A Tool For Agricultural Revolution In Developing Nations: Current Status And Bottlenecks In Nigeria.
Solomon T. Akinyosoye, J. A. Adetumbi
2. Advances On Engineering Cassava For Food And Nutrition Security In 21st Century.
N. Okereke, Ihuoma C. Okwuonu, C. N. Egesi, T. J. Onyeka, Akinola Popoola
3. Current and Future Advances in Genomics-Assisted Cassava Breeding.
S. P. Abah, L. Ezenwaka, D. Njoku, Ihuoma C. Okwuonu, T. J. Onyeka, C. N. Egesi
4. Genome Engineering: A New Frontier For Improving Root And Tuber Crops.
Ihuoma C. Okwuonu, J. E. Obidegwu, C.N. Egesi, T. J. Onyeka
5. Development And Commercialization Of Bt-Cowpea In Nigeria: Implication For National Development.
L. M. Umar, B. S. Mohammed, M. F. Ishiyaku, C. A. Prince, K. A. Issoufou, R. S. Adamu, I. M. Utono, N. O. Francis
6. Progress In The Development Of Bio-Fortified Sorghum In Nigeria: Implications For Food And Nutrition Security.
M. Y. Yeye, D.A. Aba, A. J. Kwanashe, F. Wambugu, A. Aseta, S. Obukosa, M. C. Albertsen, Z. Y. Zhao
7. Strategies For The Production Of Disease-Free Yam Planting Materials – Implications For Improved Yam Production In Nigeria.
Edak Aniedi Uyoh, Valentine Otang Ntui, Effiom Eyo Ita
8. Engineering Pests And Disease Resistance In Crops: From RNA Interference To RNA Editing.
Abubakar Yakubu Saddeeq, Abdulrazak B. Ibrahim, Joshua Ehis Imonmion
9. Engineering Crops For Resistance To Pests And Diseases: Necessity For Crop Improvement Through Accurate Genomic Resources And Phenotyping.
Olufisayo A. Kolade, O. Daniel, David Okeh Igwe
10. Molecular Diagnostics For Plant Viruses Towards Enhanced Delivery Of Disease-Free Planting Materials And Germplasm Exchange.
Olufisayo A. Kolade, A. R. Popoola, David Okeh Igwe, A. Adediji
11. Recent Advances In Molecular Techniques For The Enhancement Of Crop Production.
Charles Oluwaseun Adetunji, Olugbemi Tope Olaniyan, Kingsley Eghonghon Ukhurebor, Benjamin Ewa Ubi, Julius Kola Oloke, Wadzani Palnam Dauda, Daniel Ingo Hefft
Part 2: Animal Genetics, Breeding & Genomics.
Handling Editor: Emmanuel O. Ekundayo, Benjamin Ewa Ubi
12. Genetic Intervention In Sustainable Livestock Production.
Cyril Otoikhian, Hannah Etta, Solomon Olorunleke, Ekei Ikpeme
13. Development Of Improved Indigenous Chickens (Funaab Alpha) For Smallholder Poultry Production In Nigeria.
Olufunmilayo A. Adebambo, S. O. Peters, A. O. Adebambo, M. A. Adeleke, M. Y. Wheto, O. Kehinde, Jessie E. Udoh
14. Biotechnology Applications In Livestock Production.
Olufunmilayo A. Adebambo, Victor E. Olori, Sunday O. Peters, Ayotunde O. Adebambo, Mathew Wheto
15. Enabling Environment For Uptake Of Biotechnological Innovations For Livestock Production In Africa.
Victor E. Olori
16. Biothermoimaging Tools For Management Of Climate Smart And Precision Livestock Assisted Reproduction.
Mustapha Ayodele Popoola, Sulaiman Elias Bogoro, Jean Magloire Feugang
Part 3: Genetic Resources Conservation & Enchancement.
Handling Editor: Benjamin Ewa Ubi
17. Securing The Genetic Base Of Indigenous Food Plants: Their Role In Promoting Sustainable Food Systems.
Andrew Chibuzor Iloh, George Ude, Christie Onyia
18. Biotechnology-Aided Sustainable Use Of Nigeria’s Biodiversity For Improved Nutrition And Health.
Pamela Akin-Idowu, Lovina Iyandu Udoh, Dorcas Olubunmi Ibitoye
19. Utilizing Plant Genetic Resources To Develop Climate Resilient Crops.
Chikelu Mba, Francis C. Ogbonnaya
20. Biodiversity And Genetic Resources Conservation In Nigeria.
George Nkem Ude, David Okeh Igwe, Christie Oby Onyia, Chosen Ekene Obih
21. Biotechnological Approaches For Genetic Resources Conservation And Use.
Sunday E. Aladele, Gloria Afolayan, Zainab O. Jamaleddine, Olusola T. Oduoye, Ronke Bolatito, Adedotun O. Afolayan, I O Daniel, Adams A. Olosunde, Mayowa R. Olubiyi, Anthony Okere, Benjamin Ewa Ubi
Olawole Obembe, Ph.D. is Professor of Plant Biotechnology & UNESCO Chair, Plant Biotechnology, Covenant University Ota, Nigeria
Emmanuel Olufemi Ekundayo, Ph.D. is Associate Professor of Medical Microbiology and Microbial Genetics, Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike, Nigeria.
Arinze Stanley Okoli, Ph.D. is an Associate Professor at Genoek - Centre for Biosafety, Universitetet II, Breivika, Tromsoe, Norway.
Abubakar Gidado, Ph.D. is a Professor of Biochemistry and Director North-East Zonal Biotechnology Centre of Excellence at University of Maiduguri, Nigeria.
Charles Oluwaseun Adetunji, Ph.D. is Associate Professor of Microbiology and Biotechnology, & Director of intellectual Property and Technology Transfer, Edo State University Uzairue, Nigeria.
Abdulrazak Ibrahim, Ph.D. is a Capacity Development Expert at the Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA), and Associate Professor of Biochemistry, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria.
Benjamin Ewa Ubi, Ph.D. is Professor of Plant Breeding and Biotechnology & Director, Biotechnology Research and Development Centre, Ebonyi State University Abakaliki, Nigeria