The sixth edition of a bestseller, Air Quality provides students with a comprehensive overview of air quality, the science that continues to provide a better understanding of atmospheric chemistry and its effects on public health and the environment, and the regulatory and technological management practices employed in achieving air quality goals. Maintaining the practical approach that has made previous editions popular, the chapters have been reorganized, new material has been added, less relevant material has been deleted, and new images have been added, particularly those from Earth satellites.
New in the Sixth Edition
- New graphics, images, and an appended list of unit conversions
- New problems and questions
- Presents all-new information on the state of air quality monitoring
- Provides the latest updates on air quality legislation in the United States
- Updates the effects of air pollution and CO2 on climate change
- Examines the effects of the latest changes in energy production and the related emissions and pollutants
- Offers broadened coverage of air pollutant emissions and air quality in a global context
This new edition elucidates the challenges we face in our efforts to protect and enhance the quality of the nation’s air. It also highlights the growing global awareness of air quality issues, climate change, and public health concerns in the developing world. The breadth of coverage, review questions at the end of each chapter, extensive glossary, and list of readings place the tools for understanding into your students’ hands.
2. Atmospheric Pollution and Pollutants
3. Atmospheric Dispersion, Transport, and Deposition
4. Atmospheric Effects
5. Health Effects
6. Welfare Effect
7. Air Quality and Emissions Assessment
8. Regulation and Public Policy
9. Control of Motor Vehicle Emissions
10. Control of Emissions from Stationary Sources
11. Indoor Air Quality
12. Environmental Noise
This is an excellent book, covering a broad range of air pollution topics, and providing in-depth, state-of-the-art, information in a simple, interesting, and logical manner. The book could be of great interest to both the classroom teaching to under/post graduate students as well as young researchers who are trying to find their feet in the area of air pollution and its control.
Prof. Prashant Kumar, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Surrey, United Kingdom
Multiple issues of public concern, such as the effects of pollution on various matters: air quality, health, public welfare, ozone depletion, and climate change, are examined in detail. The new edition has updated the most recent scientific findings of several pollution issues. It is an excellent book for students who will pursue careers in environmental science. It can be offered as the core textbook for both lecture and online classes.
Prof. Gong-Yuh Lin, Emeritus, California State University, Northridge, USA
Previous editions of "Air Quality" have sat comfortably on shelves globally for decades. These dog-eared tomes have fostered sound principles in generations of Environmental Scientists. This 6th edition, much improved, and more versatile for my classes, honors this legacy. As in previous iterations, the language is simple but precise; scientific terms are explained in a holistic sense. For the beginner, this book is pioneering instruction; for the veteran practitioner, it is an old friend in new clothing. If you are considering investing your time in this book, don’t hesitate – it is indeed a trustworthy companion.
Chris McCormack, Lecturer, Athlone Institute of Technology, Ireland.