"Algae are mysterious and fascinating organisms that hold great potential for discovery and biotechnology."
—Dr. Thierry Tonon, Department of Biology, University of York
"Science is a beautiful gift to humanity; we should not distort it."
—A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
In this book, we emphasise the importance of algal biotechnology as a sustainable platform to replace the conventional fossil-based economy. With this focus, Volume 2 summarizes up-to-date literature knowledge and discusses the advances in algal cultivation, genetic improvement, wastewater treatment, resource recovery, commercial operation, and technoeconomic analysis of algal biotechnology.
- Discusses in detail recent developments in algae cultivation and biomass harvesting
- Provides an overview of genetic engineering and algal-bacteria consortia to improve productivity
- Presents applications of algae in the area of wastewater treatment and resource recovery
- Provides case studies and technoeconomic analysis to understand the algal biorefinery
Shashi Kant Bhatia, PhD, is an Associate Professor in the Department of Biological Engineering, Konkuk University, Seoul, South Korea.
Sanjeet Mehariya, PhD, is a Postdoctoral Researcher in the Department of Chemistry, Umeå University, Umeå, Sweden.
Obulisamy Parthiba Karthikeyan, PhD, is a Research Scientist and Lecturer (Adjunct) in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Rapid City, South Dakota, USA.
Table of Contents
1. Genetic Engineering in Improving the Output of Algal Bioreﬁnery
Yogita Sharma, Ameesh Dev Singh, Sanjeet Mehariya, Obulisamy Parthiba Karthikeyan, Gajendra Pal Singh, Chandra Pal Singh, and Antonio Molino
2. Recent Development in Microalgal Cultivation and Biomass Harvesting Methods
Gour Gopal Satpati, Ashutosh Kumar, Sreestha Dinesh Parambath, Trisha Bagchi, Meenakshi Singh, Murthy Chavali, and K. Chandrasekhar
3. Application of Microalgae for CO2 Mitigation and Sequestration of Flue Gas
Asha A. Nesamma, Iqra Mariam, Mukul S. Kareya, and Pannaga P. Jutur
4. Microalgae-Based Nutrient Recovery from Urban Wastewater
Maria Rosa di Cicco, Maria Palmieri, C. Lubritto, and C. Ciniglia
5. Microalgal Metal Remediation from Industrial Wastewater
Anna Aksmann, Wojciech Pokora, Agnieszka Baścik- Remisiewicz, and Martyna Zalewska
6. Application of Microalgae for Removal of Pharmaceuticals from Aqueous Matrices
Andreia D. M. Silva, Olga M. Freitas, Sónia A. Figueiredo, and Cristina Delerue-Matos
7. C1-Proteins Prospect for Production of Industrial Proteins and Protein-Based Materials from Methane
Hamilton Richard, Nizovtseva Irina, Chernuskin Dmitri, and Marina G. Kalyuzhnaya
8. Microalgal Consortia and Their Biotechnological Applications
Neerja Thakur, Ranjit Gurav, Yung-Hun Yang, and Shashi Kant Bhatia
9. Algae from Extremophilic Conditions and Their Potential Applications
Ashiwin Vadiveloo, Tasneema Ishika, David Chuka-Ogwude, Mohammadjavad Raeisossadati, and Ângelo P. Matos
10. LCA: A Tool to Develop Sustainable Microalgal Bioreﬁneries
N.S. Caetano, P.S. Corrêa, W.G. de Morais Júnior T.M. Mata, A.A.A. Martins, and M. Branco-Vieira
11. Commercial Operation of Algal Technology: A Case Study and Techno-Economic Analysis
Patrizia Casella, Angela Iovine, Gian Paolo Leone, Sanjeet Mehariya, Tiziana Marino, and Antonio Molino
Obulisamy Parthiba Karthikeyan (OPK) is currently working as a research assistant professor at University of Houston, Texas, USA.
Sanjeet Mehariya, PhD, is working as a Postdoctoral Researcher at Department of Chemical Engineering, Materials, Environment, Sapienza - University of Rome, Italy to produce nutraceuticals from oleaginous microalgae.
Shashi Kant Bhatia is working as an Associate Professor in Department of Biological Engineering, Konkuk University, Seoul, South Korea.