In this engaging book Professor Ken Reid focuses on the needs of school professionals and leaders, providing them with workable, achievable solutions to radically reducing their truancy rates. As well as discussing the importance of regular attendance and the importance of sound leadership, Professor Reid provides:
- A highly effective whole school strategy for use in both primary and secondary schools
- Checklists on good practice
- Early intervention strategies
- Advice on using attendance panels
- Guidance on effective monitoring schemes
Supporting throughout with case-studies, sample letters, reports, attendance calendars and action plans, this book will be an essential staff-room resource for head teachers, deputy head teachers, teachers and any educational professional eager to raise standards for all.
Table of Contents
1. The Importance of Regular Attendance 2. The Importance of Sound Leadership: Some Policy Initiatives 3. A Whole-School strategy at the Primary level 4. A Whole-School Strategy at the Secondary Level 5. Some Effective Good Practice in Schools 6. A Checklist on Good Practice 7. Early Intervention Strategies 8.Using Attendance Panels 9.Using Effective Monitoring Schemes 10. Some New Approaches
Professor Ken Reid has spent a lifetime in this field and was awarded an OBE for his Services to Education by the Queen in 2010 for this work.
He has written over 150 articles in academic journals based on his research in this and related fields and he was the Chair of the Welsh Assembly Government Review into School Behaviour and Attendance and has more recently, written a special Report for the Minister of Education and Skills in Wales on this subject.
He is currently the Advisor to the Welsh Government on school behaviour and attendance and has previously published several books for Routledge.
He is also Associate Editor of Educational Studies for Taylor & Francis & on the Editorial Board of other Journals