A guide to diagnosis and treatment of viral diseases in geriatric patients, Antivirals in the Elderly offers health care providers a quick reference to special consideration for the most appropriate use of antiviral medications in the elderly. Authors present timely and updated information to help optimize treatment of the elderly.Authors offer information about the following health problems in regard to the elderly:
- influenza illness, prophylaxis, and treatment
- herpes zoster (shingles) and its treatment
- sexually transmitted viral diseases, including AIDS
- antiviral drugs’efficacy and toxicity
- immune competence
- important pharmacokinetic considerations
- underlying pathological states and conditions that predispose the elderly to infectionPhysicians, pharmacists, nurses, social workers, gerontologists, and other health care professionals involved with the care of elderly patients will find Antivirals in the Elderly an informative and concise reference to antiviral therapy for their geriatric patients.