Presenting readers with definitions and examples of arts-based educational research, this text identifies tensions, questions, and models in the field and provides guidance for both beginning and more experienced practice. As arts-based research grows in prominence and popularity across education and the social sciences, the barriers between empirical, institutional, and artistic research diminish and new opportunities emerge for discussion, consideration, and reflection. This book responds to an ever increasing, global need to understand and navigate this evolving domain of research. Featuring a diverse range of contributors, this text weaves together critical essays about arts-based research in the literary, visual, and performing arts with examples of excellence in theory and practice.
New to the Second Edition:
Melisa Cahnmann-Taylor and Richard Siegesmund
2. Celebrating Monkey Business in Art Education and Research
3. Putting Critical Public Pedagogy into Practice: Reorienting the Career Path of the Teacher-Artist-Scholar
Yen Yen Woo
4. Art, Agency, and Inquiry: Making Connections Between New Materialism and Contemporary Pragmatism in Arts-Based Research
Jerry Lee Rosiek
5. Wild Imagination, Radical Imagination, Politics and the practice of Arts-Based Educational Research (ABER) and Scholartistry
6. Being Pregnant as an International Ph.D. Student: A Poetic Autoethnography
7. What is an Artist-Teacher When Teaching Second Languages?
8. Ethnographic Activist Middle Grades Fiction: Reflections on Researching and Writing "Dear Mrs. Naidu"
9. Misperformance Ethnography
Monica Prendergast and George Belliveau
10. "Songwriting as Ethnographic Practice", or "How Stories Humanize"
11. The End Run: Art and the Heart of the Matter
12. Expanding Paradigms: Art as Performance and Performance as Communication in Politically Turbulent Times
Petula Sik-Ying Ho, Hoi-Yan Chan, and Sui-Ting Kong
13. HAPPENINGS: Allan Kaprow’s Experimental, Inquiry-Based Art Education
Charles R. Garoian
14. Turning Towards: Materializing New Possibilities Through Curating: A Curator’s Essay
15. The Abandoned School as an Anomalous Place of Learning: A Practice-led Approach to Doctoral Research
16. Thinking in Comics: An Emerging Process
17. For Art’s Sake Stop Making Art
18. Finding the Progress in Work-in-Progress: Liz Lerman’s Critical Response Process in Arts-Based Research
19. A Researcher Prepares: The Art of Acting for the Qualitative Researcher
Kathleen R. McGovern
20. Learning to Perceive: Teaching Scholartistry
21. Four Guiding Principles for Arts-Based Research Practice