This book critically examines different aspects of scientific and technological development in Ancient India. It studies the special contribution of the history of science in our scientific understanding and its relationship with the philosophy and sociology of science.
- Discusses diverse and wide-ranging themes including Tibetan Buddhist tradition of neuro-biology;
- Sheds light on the unique developments within iron technology and urbanization in ancient Odisha;
- Studies the trajectory of proto-historic astronomy in India and the science of monsoon in early India;
- Evaluates the legacy of Aryabhata based on his major works related to astronomy and mathematics through a multidimensional perspective;
- Analyses the traditional knowledge of medicine in early India, the golden age of surgery with reference to the ancient Greek and Arabic systems of medicine, and the Buddhist influence on the science of medicine in Tibet.
This book will be an essential read for scholars and researchers of ancient history, Indian history, history of science, history of technology, science and technology studies, and South Asian studies.
Introduction- Arun Kumar Jha 1. Perspectives on Scientific Knowledge in Ancient India -Deepak Kumar 2. Some Methodological Questions on the Study of History of Science and P.C. Ray’s History of Hindu Chemistry- Arun Bandopadhyay 3. Re-reading Iron in Northeast India: Beyond Nationalist and Communal Approaches - Amrendra Kumar Thakur 4. Iron Technology and Urbanization in Odisha (1st millennium BC to 4th century AD) Byomkesh Tripathy and Dibishada Brajsundar Garnayak 5. The Aryabhata Legacy- Sabyasachi Chatterjee 6. Proto-historic Astronomy in India: A Review- Venkateswaran Thathamangalam Viswanathan 7. Sushruta: The Sage-surgeon of Ancient India and his Surgical Instruments- Amarnath Thakur 8. Traditional Knowledge of Medicine in Ancient India (Based on Classical Texts and Treatises)- Seema Sahay 9. Indic Sciences in Tibet: The Development of Ayurveda in Tibet and its Transformation as Tibetan Medicine - Melarkode Narayanaswamy Rajesh 10. Tradition of Tibetan Buddhism and Neuro-psychobiology- Arun Kumar Jha