B.R. Ambedkar, Economic Development and Dalits in Post-Independence India
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after September 24, 2021
This book examines Ambedkar the economist. It foregrounds his economic ideas within the context of post-independence India. It also studies the socio-economic status of Dalits in the country focusing on Ambedkar’s views on inclusive and equitable growth.
· Focuses on the economic writings of Ambedkar and looks at his views on caste and its economic implications, monetary and fiscal systems, as well as exchange rate and trade;
· Discusses issues like land reforms and agrarian change, poverty, higher education and human rights from a Dalit perspective;
· Examines the relevance of Ambedkar’s economic ideas for contemporary India.
Drawing on interdisciplinary research methods, this book will be of great interest to scholars and researchers of economics, political science, development studies, history, human rights, and South Asian studies.
Table of Contents
1. Dr. Ambedkar's Perspective of Economic Development and Its Relevance for Contemporary India 2. Dr. Ambedkar on Education and Educational Development of Dalits in India 3. Land, Labour, Poverty and Dalits: Post Independence Period 4. Land Reform and Agrarian Change: The Post-Independence Period 5. Employment and Unemployment Situation among Different Social Groups at All India and State Level 6. Caste, Land and Human Rights of Dalits: A Perspective
Gummadi Nancharaiah was ICSSR National Fellow during 2015-17 at School of Economics, University of Hyderabad, India. He has taught Post-Graduate students during the last 45 years at different Universities. He was the Dean of School of Economics, University of Hyderabad for 2.5 years (2012–2015). He was the Vice-Chancellor of Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar Central University, Lucknow for five years (2002–2007). He was a Fulbright scholar under the Indo-US Exchange Programme and worked at University of California, Berkeley, USA in 1990. He is the author of Land and Caste (1988) and the editor of Economic Reforms and Rural Development in India (2003). He was a member of Agriculture Commission appointed by Government of Andhra Pradesh (2004). He was also a member of the High Level Committee constituted by the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution (MCAFPD), Government of India, for restructuring the Food Corporation of India during 2014–2015. He was the Chairman, IV State Finance Commission, Government of A.P for about two years during February 2018 to December 2019.