Go beyond the walls of your classroom to build literacy and achievement. In this insightful book, you’ll discover how you can better meet the rigorous goals of the Common Core by opening new lines of communication with colleagues, parents, and students. Each chapter centers around an action project that was designed to help teachers improve literacy by moving beyond the typical class lessons and worksheets. The projects include...
- A book club for families of kindergarten and first grade students, to help students build foundational literacy skills
- A book club designed to engage middle school students with young adult literature using digital forums
- "Write with your child" evenings to help parents connect with their middle school children
- An instructional team’s challenge to use a range of mentor texts in their classrooms
- And much more!
As you read each project, you’ll come away with ideas and inspiration that you can apply to your own teaching. By challenging yourself to connect with parents and colleagues on a deeper level, you will be better able to align your work, adjust for your students, and achieve your teaching goals.
Table of Contents
Meet the Author
- Extraordinary Measures. Nanci Werner-Burke
- Reading Connections: Building a Partnership Between Families and School. Nanci Werner-Burke
- Digital Connections: Turn Readers into Sophisticated Discussion Leaders. Melissa Morral
- Writing Connections: The Not-So-Secret Mission of Parental Involvement. Bobbi Button
- Connecting the Curriculum: Some Book on Cambodia. Karin Knaus & Stacey Segur
- Connecting Teachers With Authentic Texts. Jane M. Spohn
- Connecting Content: The True Story of Dead End. Cindy Lisowski
- Connecting Teachers: Teaming up for Essential Vocabulary. Julie Weaver
- Conclusion: Let There Be Light: Where Will You Connect? Nanci Werner-Burke
Nanci Werner-Burke is a former middle and high school teacher. She directs the Endless Mountains Writing Project, an affiliate of the National Writing Project and is a professor at Mansfield University.