This new volume looks at the applications of biomarkers as important tools for herbal drug discovery, presenting research on phytoconstituents with advanced nanotechnological applications for healthcare benefits.
Herbal drug discovery based on biomarkers is an emerging area in complementary and alternative medicine that has tremendous potential in healthcare. Conventional medications have limited efficacy and high toxicity, whereas herbal drugs are said to provide wide structural diversity that is not usually seen with conventional/synthetic drug molecules. Recognition of various herbal constituents, such as terpenoids, fatty acids, flavonoids and steroids, are well explored in the management and treatment of various disorders in this volume. These agents target various biomarkers such as nitric oxide (NO), cytokines, chemokines, adhesion molecules, NF- kβ, lipoxygenase (LOX), and arachidonic acid.
Biomarkers as Targeted Herbal Drug Discovery: A Pharmacological Approach to Nanomedicines discusses phytoconstituent-based nanotherapeutics with applications for some specific health issues, such as arthritis, leishmanicidal, cardiovascular diseases, cancer, ocular disorders, etc.
1. Inflammatory Biomarkers: An Important Tool for Herbal Drug Discovery
Mahfoozur Rahman, Ankit Sahoo, Mohammad Atif, and Sarwar Beg
2. Herbal Anti-Arthritic Drug Discovery Tool Based on Inflammatory Biomarkers
Mahfoozur Rahman, Ankit Sahoo, and Sarwar Beg
3. Curcumin Nanomedicines and Their Application in the Management of Disease
Sadaf Jamal Gilani et al.
4. Ursolic Acid: A Pentacyclic Triterpene from Plants in Nanomedicine
Monalisha Sen Gupta et al.
5. Phytoconstituent-Centered Byproducts and Nanomedicines as Leishmanicidal Scavengers
Sabya Sachi Das, P. R. P. Verma, and Sandeep Kumar Singh
6. Delivery of Herbal Cardiovascular Drugs in the Scenario of Nanotechnology: An Insight
Kumar Anand et al.
7. Nigella sativa Encapsulated Nano-Scaffold and Their Bioactivity Significance
Mohammed Asadullah Jahangir et al.
8. Phytoconstituent-Loaded Nanomedicines for Arthritis Management
Syed Salman Ali et al.
9. Phytoconstituent-Based Nanotherapeutics as Ocular Delivery Systems
Mohammed Jafar, Syed Sarim Imam, and Syed Azizullah Ghori
10. Rosmarinic Acid: A Boon in the Management of Cardiovascular Disease
Md. Adil Shaharyar et al.
11. Long-Term Toxicity and Regulations for Bioactive-Loaded Nanomedicines
Iqbal Ahmad et al.
12. Resveratrol-Loaded Phytomedicines for Management of Cancer
Shakir Saleem, Ruqaiyah Khan, and Sandeep Arora
13. Thymoquinone-Loaded Nanocarriers for Healthcare Applications
Ruqaiyah Khan, Himani Nautiyal, and Shakir Saleem
“A very interesting compilation of the translational components of the science and technology that, in particular, focuses on their herbal drug delivery and targeting on various biomarkers, which are involved in the treatment of various dreadful disorders, including arthritis, cardiovascular, ocular disorders, cancers, etc. . . . An important tool for herbal drug discovery based on biomarkers. . . . [Also] discusses herbal constituents to target the biomarkers involved in various threatening diseases, including parasitic disease, immune-related disorders, cancers, etc., and its management by using bioactive loaded nanomedicines . . . A wonderful treatise based on expert experience with a clear bearing on application in human health.”
—From the Foreword by Professor Rajendra B. Lal, Vice Chancellor, Sam Higginbottom University of Agriculture, Technology and Science, India