Bioresource Utilization and Management
Applications in Therapeutics, Biofuels, Agriculture, and Environmental Science
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after July 15, 2021
The need for exploration, conservation, and sustainable utilization of bioresources is undeniable for the survival and growth of mankind. This new book throws light on new and recent research on and development of effective strategies for sustainable utilization of bioresources using modern tools and techniques to help meet this challenge.
Bioresource Utilization and Management: Applications in Therapeutics, Biofuels, Agriculture, and Environmental Science is divided into four sections that cover utilization of bioresources in therapeutics, in biofuel, in agriculture, and in environmental protection. Beginning with the diverse potential applications of bioresources in food, medicine, and cosmetics, the volume goes on to address the various different underutilized bioresources and their sustainable uses. It discusses important advances in biofuel and patents that highlight recent developments that address the energy crises and the continuously fluctuating cost of petroleum. It explores new energy renewable sources from bioresources and their sustainable utilization in the bioenergy and biofuel industry.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Utilization of Bioresources In Therapeutics
1. Antifungal Drugs from Endophytic Microbes: Present and Future Prospects
Rajreepa Talukdar, Sushmita Paul, and Kumananda Tayung
2. Bioactive Compounds and Herbal Therapy for Alzheimer’s Disease
Jayashree Prusty and Srikanta Jena
3. Wild Cucurbits: An Ethnomedicinally Important Plant Species for Aboriginals of the Similipal Biosphere Reserve, Odisha, India
Yasaswinee Rout et al.
4. The Miracle Plant—Moringa
Karabi Biswas and Sankar Narayan Sinha
5. Biomedical Application of Polymeric Biomaterial: Polyhydroxybutyrate
S. Mohapatra et al.
6. Thermostable Cyclodextrin Glycosyltransferase (CGTase): Recent Advances in Pharmaceutical Application of Cyclodextrins and Their Enzymatic Production
Amrita Swain, Luna Samanta, and Dhananjay Soren
7. Mangrove Plants in Therapeutic Management of Diabetes: An Update
Swagat Kumar Das, Dibyajyoti Samantaray, and Swatismita Behera
Part 2: Utilization of Bioresources In Biofuel
8. Microalgae as a Viable Bioresource for Sustainable Biofuel Production through Biorefinery Technologies
Bunushree Behera et al.
9. Fruit Peel Waste “Biorefinery” and Sustainability Issues
Pranav D. Pathak et al.
10. Utilization of Bioresources: Towards Biomass Valorization for Biofuels
Samuel Eshorame Sanni et al.
11. Lignocellulosic Waste Derived Bioethanol as Potential Biofuel for the Transportation Sector: Sources and Technological Advancements
Shitarashmi Sahu, Krishna Pramanik, and Neelam Meher
12. Cost-Effective Production of Biofuels from Lignocellulosic Biomass: Prospects and Challenges
K. C. Samal and Laxmipreeya Behera
13. Monitoring Innovations in Biofuel Production from Lignocellulosic Biomass: A Patent-Based Approach
Suruchee Samparna Mishra, Sonali Mohapatra, and Hrudayanath Thatoi
Part 3: Utilization of Bioresources In Agriculture
14. Effective Utilization of Palm Mesocarpic Husk (An Agrowaste) in Producing Major Phenolics and Other Chemicals
Swapan Kumar Ghosh and Kingsuk Das
15. CRISPR/Cas9: An Invention for Plant Breeding and Agricultural Sustainability
Debashrita Mittra and Sabuj Sahoo
16. Self-Sustained Ramie Cultivation in Tripura, a Source of Multiple Commercial Uses for Adoption as an Alternative Livelihood
Shaon Ray Chaudhuri et al.
17. Azolla, a Viable Resource of Bio-Fertilizer and Livestock Feed for Sustainable Development of Farming Community
Upendra Kumar et al.
Part 4: Utilization of Bioresources In The Environment
18. Bioremediation of Arsenic-Contaminated Environment Using Bacteria: An Update
Ranjan Kumar Mohapatra et al.
19. Potential Applications of Coal Fly Ash: A Focus on Its Fungistatic Properties and Zeolite Synthesis
20. Heavy Metal Toxicity and Bioremediation Using Microbes, Plants, and Nanobiomaterials
S. K. Sahu and H. G. Behuria
21. Spent Coffee Waste Conversion to Value-Added Products for the Pharmaceutical and Horticulture Industries
Priya Sarkar et al.
22. Bioremediation, an Ecofriendly Technology for Sustainable Aquaculture
S. K. Nayak and P. K. Nanda
23. Biochar, an Advanced Remedy for Environmental Management and Water Treatment
Chinmayee Acharya et al.
Hrudayanath Thatoi, PhD, is a Professor in the Department of Biotechnology of North Orissa University, Baripada, India, where he is also working as the Director of the Centre for Similipal Studies.
Swagat Kumar Das, PhD, is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Biotechnology at College of Engineering and Technology, at Biju Patnaik University of Technology (BPUT), Rourkela, Odisha, India.
Mrs. Sonali Mohapatra is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Biotechnology, CET, Bhubaneswar, India, and is pursuing her PhD at the College of Engineering and Technology, Ghatika, India, one of the premiere engineering colleges in the state of Odisha.