Microbial biotechnology is an important contributor to global business, especially in agriculture, the environment, healthcare, and the medical, food, and chemical industries. This volume provides an exciting interdisciplinary journey through the rapidly changing backdrop of invention in microbial biotechnology, covering a range of topics, including microbial properties and characterization, cultivation and production strategies, and applications in healthcare, bioremediation, nanotechnology, and more.
- Explains the diverse aspects of and strategies for cultivation of microbial species
- Describes biodiversity and biotechnology of microbes
- Provides an understanding of microorganisms in bioremediation of pollutants
- Explores various applications of microbes in agriculture, food, health, industry, and the environment
- Considers production issues and applications of microbial secondary metabolites
- Underscores the importance of integrating genomics of microorganisms in ecological restoration of contaminated environments
Table of Contents
1. Comparative Studies on CFU Determination by Pure and/or Mixed Culture Cultivation
Subir Kumar Nandy
2. Cultivation Strategies with Special Reference to Bioreactor Design and Operation for Industrial Production in Biotechnology
Anupreet Kaur and Jaspreet Kaur
3. Diversity and Application of Acetic Acid Bacteria in Asia
Somboon Tanasupawat et al.
4. Secondary Metabolites and Biological Activity of Actinomycetes
Khomsan Supong and Somboon Tanasupawat
5. Serratiopeptidases: A Multifaceted Microbial Enzyme in Health Care
Subathra Devi Chandrasekaran, Jemimah Naine Selvakumar, and Mohanasrinivasan Vaithilingam
6. Production of Bacteriorhodopsin, an Industrially Important Membrane Protein of Halophilic Archaea: A Biotechnological Challenge
Pradnya Pralhad Kanekar, Snehal Omkar Kulkarni, and Sagar Pralhad Kanekar
7. Properties and Biotechnological Applications of -Glucuronidases
Nasser El-Din Ibrahim, Weilan Shao, and Kesen Ma
8. Microbial Collagenases: An Overview of Their Production and Applications
Jyotsna Jotshi and Pradnya Pralhad Kanekar
9. Characterization, Production, and Application of Microbial Lipases for Food, Agriculture, Health, and Environment
Jeyabalan Sangeetha et al.
10. Microorganisms as Potential Biosorbents of Heavy Metals
Antony Alex Kennedy Ajilda et al.
11. Bioremediation Processes and Molecular Tools for Detoxification of Heavy Metals and Rehabilitation of Contaminated Environments Using Microbial Genetic and Genomic Resources
Jeyabalan Sangeetha et al.
12. Microbial Applications in Nanotechnology Industry
Essam Abdellatif Makky and Mashitah Mohd Yusoff
Jeyabalan Sangeetha, PhD, is Assistant Professor at Central University of Kerala at Kasaragod, South India. Her research interests are in environmental toxicology, environmental microbiology, and environmental biotechnology, and her scientific/community leadership has included serving as editor of an international journal Acta Biologica Indica.
Devarajan Thangadurai, PhD, is Senior Assistant Professor at Karnatak University in South India, President of the International Society for Applied Biotechnology, and General Secretary for the Association for the Advancement of Biodiversity Science. In addition, Dr. Thangadurai is Editor-in-Chief of two international journals and has also authored and edited nineteen books.
Somboon Tanasupawat, PhD, is Professor at the Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, Faculty of Phamaceutical Sciences, Chulalongkorn University, Thailand. He has published over 200 research and review articles and book chapters and is an editorial board member of several journals.
Pradnya Pralhad Kanekar, PhD, is a CSIR Emeritus Scientist at the Modern College of Arts, Science and Commerce, Pune, India. She headed the Microbiology Department and later the Microbial Sciences Division of MACS-Agharkar Research Institute and also served as Acting Director. Other roles include President, Pune Chapter of the Association of Food Scientists and Technologists of India; President, Pune Unit of the Association of Microbiologists of India; and Convener, Indian Women Scientists Association, Pune Branch.