Broadcast News Writing, Reporting, and Producing, 7th Edition is the leading book covering all aspects of writing and reporting the news. It identifies the key concepts and terms readers need to know in the news gathering and dissemination process, and provides practical, real-world advice for operating in the modern day newsroom.
New to the seventh Edition are profiles of working journalists who give readers a glimpse into the working life of modern reporters, producers, and directors. This new edition also covers important aspects of the use of social media, drone journalism, and digital technology. A new chapter on portfolio development will assist readers in developing the skills to advance in their careers. The text has also been updated to reflect new industry standards in modes of information gathering and delivery, writing style, and technology.
Additional features include:
- Key words at the start of every chapter, identifying important terms and definitions;
- End of chapter summaries, which allows readers to review the chapter’s main points;
- "Text Your Knowledge", which helps readers quiz themselves on important concepts;
- Chapter-by-chapter exercises, which readers can apply to a chapter’s themes;
- A companion website featuring video tutorials of necessary skills for journalists, including how to arrange lighting structures, how to hold a microphone, and how to properly conduct an interview.
Table of Contents
1. Legal and Ethical Considerations
2. Locating the News
3. Developing Stories
4. Collecting Information from Real and Virtual Documents
5. Beats, Spot News, and Reporting Assignments
6. Newswriting Mechanics
7. Newswriting Style
8. Writing Compelling Leads
11. Covering Planned Events
12. Reporting Live
13. Voiceovers, Packages, and Story Formats
14. Producing the Television Newscast
15. Producing the Radio Newscast
16. Delivering the News
17. Careers in Broadcast Journalism
18. Portfolio Development
Frank Barnas is a Professor of Mass Media who has taught in journalism programs in Georgia, Nevada, Texas, and Lithuania. His journalism background includes television reporting, radio commentary, and working on documentaries in locations ranging from Russia to Antarctica. He has been recognized by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, the Broadcast Education Association, the Radio and Television News Directors Foundation, the Society for Collegiate Journalists, and the Fulbright Commission.
"Broadcast News Writing, Reporting and Producing complements our practical hands-on approach for new and aspiring Broadcast Journalists. This engaging book seamlessly integrates core journalistic principles - whether in the Newsroom or working in the field – with the processes required to create, present and manage on air content."
Ray Williams, The College of Sports Media, Toronto, ON
"This text has all the major components for a solid background of writing, reporting, and producing news.. It is highly understandable for college students and also adds enough challenges to enable students of all levels to improve their techniques.
The examples used in the text will enable students to test their abilities."
-Anthony Loudis, Missouri State University, USA
Please visit our companion website for additional support materials.