Drawing from a diverse range of expert voices within the field, this key work explores how communities of practice are an effective tool for supporting successful collaboration, whilst also creating the foundations for lasting institutional change.
By examining communities of practice through a variety of critical lenses, this book encourages readers to consider how strategies may be applied within their own institutions to support feelings of belonging, encourage teamwork, and inspire learning. Supported by both practical case studies and current research, contributors suggest strategies that readers can use to create their own effective communities of practice. Chapters explore topics including:
- Communities as a method of regeneration within universities
- Cultivation of knowledge through community collaboration
- Questions of power in transdisciplinary communities
- Mapping career pathways through communities of practice
Bringing together theory and practice, this is an essential resource for all involved in strategic planning, organisational development and fostering a positive organisational culture within higher education.
1. Introduction; 2. Communities of practice as a mechanism for regenerating universities; 3. Putting people at the heart of Higher education by creating successful Communities of Practice to humanise Higher Education; 4. Cultivating Knowledge: The evolution of communities of practice and their role in interdisciplinary collaboration; 5. Peering over the parapet; using Communities of Practice to break down silos of working practice; 6. Enabling strategic alignment, disrupting hierarchies and mapping career pathways through Communities of Practice; 7. Knowledge co-production or epistemic injustice? Attending to questions of power in transdisciplinary Communities of Practice; 8. Higher education practice: Enabling transformation in individuals and groups; 9. Drawing Edges: A Community of practice set up during doctoral studies to explore the boundaries of drawing practice and research; 10. Conclusion and looking to the future of Communities of Practice in Higher Education