The BIA (Business Impact Analysis) is not just all about satisfying management requirements. Its most important goal is to provide your organization (business, hospital, or agency) with a solid data foundation upon which you can build a meaningful, comprehensive Business Continuity Plan (BCP).
In Building a Business Impact Analysis (BIA) Process: A Hands-on Blueprint, Barry Cardoza uses his teaching and lecturing skills to clearly lead you through a concise, step-by-step blueprint for building not just another "window dressing document", but an entire, systematic, functioning BIA Process.
He shows you how to:
- Obtain the all-important Executive Support that gives you your analysis authority.
- Involve stakeholders in the planning process, and obtain their honest, meaningful input
- Establish the goals, and "Big Picture" scope of your entire BIA process
- Focus on what’s important, and not get side-tracked by minutia
- Collect, and then validate your data
- Analyze your collected data, and produce a concise, valuable document, one that is a cornerstone piece in the entire organizational Business Model
- Keep your BIA current, dynamic and meaningful
A FREE, accompanying CD-ROM contains:
- A flow chart of BIA considerations and action items
- Sample communications and forms
- Customized example of Spreadsheet approach to data collection and analysis
- Customized example of a Database approach to data collection and analysis
A good BIA-based BCP that is team-driven, flexible and useful, today and tomorrow, is what works! Whatever your job accountability is in your organization: management, business continuity, risk or loss prevention, crisis preparedness and response, or education & training – this is your designated, hands-on guidebook!
Table of Contents
An Overview of the BIA
Gaining Executive Support
Including Stakeholders in the Planning Process
Setting the Goals
Definition of Critical Impact
Topple the Silos when Measuring Impact
Impact and RTO: About How Much or When?
Bottom-up or Top-Down? The Right Approach to your BIA
It’s a Process; Not a Project
Defining Impact Categories
The Data Collection Phase
Including Every Department
Asking the Right People
Asking the Right Questions in the Right Way
In-House or Outsource, Buy or Build?
Buying a System to Manage the Process
Building a System to Manage the Process
Final Preparation for the BIA Kickoff
Kicking off the BIA
The Analysis Phase
To Weight or Not to Weight (The Data)
The Heart of the BIA: Five Questions
Charts and Graphs: The Unavoidable Request
Viewing BIA (and Other) Data Geographically
Reality Check: Have You Met the Goals?
Continuous Process Improvement
So Where Do You Want to Go From Here?
Appendix A: Building A System to Manage The Process
Appendix B: A Spreadsheet Approach
Appendix C: A Rational Database Approach
Appendix D: Contents of the Accompanying Free CD