Originally published in 1974 Campaigning for the Environment addresses the issue of the environmental lobby. Using seven case-studies from the time of publication, the book covers the important aspects of environmental campaigning, where the environment has been threatened and where pressure groups have been formed to defend it. The book discusses the political problems of protecting and improving the environment, and states that each campaign involves taking on major sections of the political system. Despite having been published over 40 years ago, the commentary of the book, and the analysis in the case studies is still as relevant today as it was then. This book will be of interest to academics working in the field of environment and sustainability, conservation and political studies.
2. Preserving Our Heritage: The Historic City of York, D.M. Palliser
3. The National Smoke Abatement Society and the Clean Air Act (1956), J.B. Sanderson
4. Power Lines Across the South Downs, H.R. Burroughes
5. The Politics of Manchester’s Water Supply 1961-7, Susan J. Dolbey
6. The Minister’s Line: Or, the M4 Comes to Berkshire, Roy Gregory
7. The Juggernauts: Public Opposition to Heavy Lorries, Richard Kimber
8. The Roskillers: Cublington Fights the Airport, Richard Kimber
9. Conclusion: Tactics and Strategies
The volumes in this set, originally published between 1974 and 2002, draw together research by leading academics in the area of ecology and provide a rigorous examination of related key issues. The collection examines ecology from a broad range of disciplines, from examining the economic impact of wildlife trade on ecosystems, to studies of the biodiversity of ecosystems across mountains, forests, wetlands and the arctic. The collection includes volumes across the disciplines of biology, botany, geography and sociology. The 17 books that comprise this collection include rigorous examinations into plant ecosystems, philosophy surrounding ecological scarcity, tropical environments and the relationship between ecology and society. This collection brings back into print a collection of insightful and detailed books on the diverse subject of ecology and the environment and will be a must have resource for academics and students, not only of biology and ecology, but of philosophy, sociology and economics.