This book volume sheds light on the health benefits of selected cereal grains, processing technologies of cereals, specific roles of bioactive compounds of cereals in chronic disease prevention, and traditional and latest technologies to improve the functional benefits of cereal-based products. It presents a thorough review of the functional components of some lesser known or forgotten cereals and their role in maintaining good health.
With advancements in cereal science and technology, new methods of processing have emerged that help to preserve or even enhance the health-benefitting properties of cereal grains. Further, plant breeding and biotechnology have contributed greatly in improving nutritional quality and functionality of these grains. This book provides comprehensive information on the simple as well as advanced methodologies for enhancing the properties of cereals that benefit human health. Some new approaches such as bio-fortification and extraction of bioactives from cereals are also included in the text.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Functional Benefits of Cereal Grains
1. Barley-Based Functional Foods
Prabhjot Kaur et al.
2. Pearl Millet: Health Foods for the Future
Jaspreet Kaur et al.
3. Oats: Biochemical, Health Benefits, and Future Aspects
Sandeep Singh, Shubhpreet Kaur, and Gursharan Kaur
4. Maize: A Potential Grain for Functional and Nutritional Properties
Ramandeep Kaur, Akanksha Pahwa, and Suresh Bhise
Part 2: Technological Advances In Processing Of Cereals For Healthcare
5. Current Trends in Multigrain Foods for Healthcare
Kamaljit Kaur, Jaspreet Kaur, and Amarjeet Kaur
6. Utilization of Pseudocereals in Bakery Products and Healthcare
Gursharan Kaur, Ritu Priya, and Sandeep Singh
7. Chia Seeds: Composition, Health Benefits, and Potential Applications
Reshu Rajput et al.
8. Novel Whole Grain Foods: Nutritional and Phytochemical Properties for Healthcare
Manreet Singh Bhullar et al.
Part 3: Novel Strategies To Enhance Bioactive Compounds In Cereals
9. Biofortification Strategies for Wheat and Wheat-Based Products
Diksha Bassi et al.
10. Innovative Packaging for Cereals and Cereal-Based Products
Ramandeep Kaur and Kamaljit Kaur
11. Cereal-Based Nutrients and Phytochemicals: Traditional and Novel Processing Techniques for Increasing Bioavailability
Harinderjeet Kaur Bhullar et al.
Part 4: Role of Cereals In Disease Management
12. Foods for Gluten Intolerance
Ashwani Kumar et al.
13. Cereals for Prevention of Disease Conditions for Better Health
Simran Kaur Arora
14. Cereal-Based Low Glycemic Index Foods for Healthcare
Gursharan Kaur and Ritu Priya
Megh R. Goyal, PhD, PE, is a Retired Professor in Agricultural and Biomedical Engineering from the General Engineering Department in the College of Engineering at the University of Puerto Rico–Mayaguez Campus.
Kamaljit Kaur, PhD, is Assistant Professor in Department of Food Science and Technology, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India.
Jaspreet Kaur, PhD, is Assistant Food Technologist in the Department of Food Science and Technology at Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India.