By 2050, the world’s population is estimated to grow to 10 billion. To feed everyone, we will have to double our food production, to produce more food in the next 40 years than in the whole of the last 6,000. Changing the Food Game shows how our unsustainable food production system cannot support this growth. In this prescient book, Lucas Simons argues that the biggest challenge for our generation can only be solved by effective market transformation to achieve sustainable agriculture and food production.
Lucas Simons explains clearly how we have created a production and trading system that is inherently unsustainable. But he also demonstrates that we have reason to be hopeful – from a sustainability race in the cocoa industry to examples of market transformation taking place in palm oil, timber, and sugarcane production. He also poses the question: where next?
Provocative and eye-opening, Changing the Food Game uncovers the real story of how our food makes it on to our plates and presents a game-changing solution to revolutionize the industry.
Table of Contents
How to read this book
Part 1: What is the problem?
1. Guatemala, where it all began
2. What you eat impacts the world
3. Reading and understanding behavior in systems
4. Why do agricultural markets fail?
Part 2: What is the solution?
5. Phases of market transformation
6. How does market transformation start?
7. The first mover and competition phase
8. The critical mass and institutionalization phase
9. The level playing field phase
10. Key questions about market transformation
11. Ten examples of inspirational change-makers
Appendix 1: Sector fact sheets of coffee, cocoa, and palm oil
Appendix 2: Sources
Passionate, personal, informed and informal, Changing the Food Game is a bold analysis of why and how current agricultural systems must be transformed if they are to sustainably feed 10 billion people by 2050. Real world examples and presentation in short, manageable chunks, make the analysis both accessible and fascinating. - http://spore.cta.int/en/component/content/article/270-spore/publications-2/12029-market-transformati - Spore Magazine