Children and Young People's Mental Health
Essentials for Nurses and Other Professionals
Children and Young People’s Mental Health equips nurses and healthcare professionals with the essential skills and competencies needed to deliver effective assessment, treatment and support to children and young people with mental health problems and disorders, and their families. Drawing on McDougall’s Child and Adolescent Mental Health Nursing and taking the Cavendish Report and Willis Commission into account, this new textbook has been designed to ensure those working in CAMHS can continue to provide a high quality, evidence-based service.
The book explores best practice in a variety of settings and addresses issues such as eating disorders, self–harm, ADHD, forensic mental health issues and misuse of drugs and alcohol in children and young people, as well as child protection, clinical governance, safeguarding and legal requirements. Furthermore, with young people contributing directly to several chapters, the book reflects the importance of involving them in planning, delivering and evaluating CAMHS services.
It is essential reading for all health and social care professionals and students working with children and young people, particularly those working in specialist child and adolescent mental health settings.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Policy and Strategy
1. Changing Roles in Changing Times (Laurence Baldwin)
2. Increasing Participation and Involvement (Elaine Williams, Jasmine Scarisbrick and Ben Samata)
3. CAMHS Transformation: Modernising Therapeutic Interventions and Outcomes (Tim McDougall)
4. Supporting and Safeguarding Families with Parental Mental Illness: Issues, Challenges and Possibilities (Lina Gatsou and Scott Yates)
5. New and Extended Roles for CAMHS Nurses (Angela Sergeant)
6. Working in Partnership with Children and Young People to Tackle Mental Health Stigma: Together We Can Change Minds (Fiona Warner-Gale, Leanne Walker & Amanda Tuffrey)
7. Nurse Education and Training (Rachel Hadland and Fred Ehresmann)
Part 2: Common Mental Health and Psychosocial Disorders
8. Nursing Children and Young People who Self-harm (Marie Armstrong)
9. Nursing Children and Young People with Eating Disorders (Tim McDougall)
10. Nursing Children and Young People with ADHD (Noreen Ryan)
11. Nursing Children and Young People with Psychosis and Schizophrenia (Tim McDougall and Sally Sanderson)
Part 3: Service Provision
12. Nursing and School Based Mental Health Services (Tim McDougall)
13. Managing Behaviours that Challenge Nurses in CAMHS Inpatient Settings (Tim McDougall and Terri-Anne Nolan)
14. Nursing Children and Young People in Secure and Forensic Settings (Paul Mitchell)
15. CAMHS Nurses as Entrepreneurs (Dawn Rees)
Tim McDougall is Deputy Director of Nursing at Greater Manchester West NHS Foundation Trust, UK. He has over 100 journal and book publications in relation to child and adolescent mental health and nursing practice.