430 pages | 87 B/W Illus.
This book details chiroptical spectroscopic methods: electronic circular dichroism (ECD), optical rotatory dispersion (ORD), vibrational circular dichroism (VCD), and vibrational Raman optical activity (VROA). For each technique, the text presents experimental methods for measurements and theoretical methods for analyzing the experimental data. It also includes a set of experiments that can be adopted for undergraduate teaching laboratories. Each chapter is written in an easy-to-follow format for novice readers, with necessary theoretical formalism in appendices for advanced readers.
1. Polarized Light
2. Chiral Molecules
3. Interaction of Circularly Polarized Light with Chiral Molecules
4. Quantum Chemical Formulation of Chiroptical Spectroscopy
5. Prediction of Chiroptical Spectra
6. Conformational Analysis
7. Experimental Methods for Measuring Chiroptical Spectra
8. Comparison of Experimental and Calculated Spectra
9. Chiral Aggregation, Equilibria and the Horeau effect
10. Applications of Chiroptical Spectra