Civil Society Organizations in Latin American Education
Case Studies and Perspectives on Advocacy
Examining the roles, impacts and challenges of civil society organizations (CSOs) in Latin America, this volume provides a broad perspective on the range of strategies these organizations employ and the obstacles they face in advocating for and delivering educational reform. Building on previous research on international and comparative education, development studies, research on social movements and nongovernmental organizations, chapter authors provides new insights about the increasing presence of CSOs in education and offer case studies demonstrating how these organizations‘ missions have evolved over time in Latin America.
Table of Contents
Introduction: Challenges of Civil Society Organizations in Education, Regina Cortina and Constanza Lafuente, Teachers College, Columbia University
1. "Only Quality Education Will Change Mexico": The Case of Mexicanos Primero, Regina Cortina and Constanza Lafuente, Teachers College, Columbia University
2. Mexicanos Primero: The Challenges of Accounting to Parents and Teachers, Constanza Lafuente and Regina Cortina, Teachers College, Columbia University
3. The Chilean Student Movement: The Collective Struggles to Transform a Market-
Oriented Educational System, Cristián Bellei, Cristian Cabalin, and Víctor Orellana, Universidad de Chile
4. Reaching the Marginalized: The Challenges of Scaling-Up of the Círculos de Aprendizaje
Program in Colombia, Laura Vega, Fundación Escuela Nueva Volvamos a la Gente
5. Refugees as Commodities: Non-Governmental Organizations in Ecuador’s Education
Landscape, Diana Rodríguez-Gómez, Universidad de Los Andes
6. Promoting Early Childhood Development in the Caribbean: The Case of the Foundation
for the Development of Caribbean Children, Amlata Persaud, Teachers College, Columbia University
7. NGO Diplomacies and Transnational Activism: The Case of Equipo Pueblo in Mexico, Antonio Alejo Jaime, Erasmus University of Rotterdam
Regina Cortina is Professor of Education Teachers College, Columbia University, USA.
Constanza Lafuente is Adjunct Assistant Professor at Teachers College, Columbia University, USA.