Clinical Psychology invites students to think like clinical psychologists and develop an integrated sense of how science, experience, ethical behavior, and intuition get woven into our professional identity. Built around typical psychologists and the problems they need to solve, it demonstrates that assessment is much more than testing, and explores how treatment rationales are tailored to the individual problems, histories, and environments of clients. Committed to training future professionals, this text navigates students through the career path of a clinical psychologist and provides guidance on evolving education and training models.
The text uniquely portrays clinical psychology as a modern health care profession that bridges physical and mental health and takes a holistic stance. It treats therapy as a dynamic process that benefits from the cross-fertilization of a range of different approaches. It also provides an international perspective, describing similarities and differences between how clinical psychology is practiced in different countries and contexts. It recognizes that clinical psychology changes as health care systems change, and stresses that training models and practice patterns need to match these changes.
This second edition has been fully revised and reflects DSM-5 and ICD-10-CM guidelines. New and enhanced features include:
- Additional description of the continuing integration of therapy approaches
- Additional evidence on how to make psychotherapy cost-effective
- Upgrades on self-help and web-based treatment
- An expanded chapter on psychopharmacology, offering more information on mechanisms
- Expanded in-text pedagogy, offering more vignettes, ongoing considerations, key terms, and thinking questions
- Powerpoint slides and links to recommended resources.
Table of Contents
1. Being a Clinical Psychologist 2. Becoming a Clinical Psychologist 3. Methods for Research and Evaluation 4. Ethical Decision Making 5. The Nature of Psychopathology 6. Overview of Assessment 7. Psychodiagnostic Assessment 8. Cognitive and Neuropsychological Assessment 9. Behavioral and Biological Assessment 10. The Process of Psychotherapy 11. Psychotherapies I 12. Psychotherapies II 13. Psychotherapy Outcome 14. Evidence-Based Therapy: Innovation or Quackery? 15. Child Clinical Psychology 16. Forensic Psychology 17. Health Psychology and Behavioral Medicine 18. Psychopharmacology 19. Current Trends and the Future of Clinical Psychology
Wolfgang Linden is Professor in Clinical and Health Psychology at the University of British Columbia with expertise in bridging clinical psychology and physical health applications. He has been very active in professional governance and advocacy for improved mental health care for over three decades.
Paul L. Hewitt is Professor in Clinical Psychology and a member of the Psychotherapy Division at the University of British Columbia. He is also a practicing clinical psychologist in Vancouver, Canada.
"The first edition of Clinical Psychology: A Modern Health Profession by Wolfgang Linden and Paul L. Hewitt was my first choice as a textbook. This second edition is now my first choice. Linden and Hewitt have used their extensive clinical knowledge to write a contemporary classic that describes how the vast psychological knowledge drawn from theory and research can inform and be integrated into evidence-based clinical practices from assessment to intervention. This is a dynamic and engaging book that will resonate with students, clinical trainers, and practicing psychologists." - Don Saklofske, University of Western Ontario, Canada
"Linden and Hewitt’s new edition substantively improves upon an already exceptional primer for students exploring the complexities of a career in clinical psychology. With sensitivity to both foundational principles as well as contemporary forces shaping the field, this new edition clearly outlines the essential role of clinical psychology in modern healthcare. It represents an invaluable resource to any clinical prep or field orientation course." – William S. Chase, Keystone College, USA
To gain access to the instructor resources for this title, please visit the Instructor Resources Download Hub.
You will be prompted to fill out a registration form which will be verified by one of our sales reps.