College for Students with Learning Disabilities
A School Counselor’s Guide to Fostering Success
College for Students with Learning Disabilities is the high school counselor’s best resource for preparing college-bound students with learning disabilities and related disorders.
Through a comprehensive lens, the book provides an overview of learning disabilities and related issues as they apply to the role of the high school counselor. The 6- to 8-week program outlined in the book provides a step-by-step guide for high school counselors to create and implement the program in their own schools. Each area of the program is explored in detail, covering topics such as college readiness, study skills, self-advocacy, and picking the right school.
Drawing on the lived experience of students with learning disabilities, current research, case studies and more, College for Students with Learning Disabilities advises counselors in a positive way and aims to change the lives of students with learning disabilities by preparing them for college in an effective, concrete way.
Table of Contents
List of Tables
Part 1. The Background Work
1. Why This Book?
2. What are Learning Disabilities?
Part 2. Most Common Learning Disabilities
6. Processing Disorders (Visual and Auditory)
7. Nonverbal Learning Disorder
Part 3. Related Disorders
8. ADHD (Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity Disorder)
10. Executive Function Disorder
11. Memory Issues
Part 4. Our Role as Counselors
12. Our Role
13. What Counselors Need to Know About Working With the Child Study Team
14. What Counselors Need to Know about College Readiness
15. What Counselors Need to Know About IEPs
16. What Counselors Need to Know About Self-Advocacy
17. What Counselors Need to Know About Study Skills
18. What Counselors Need to Know About Choosing Colleges and Universities
Part 5. The Comprehensive Program
19. Building the Program
20. The Program
Part 1: College Readiness
Part 2: Understanding Strengths and Challenges
Part 3: Self-Advocacy
Part 4: Study Skills
Part 5: Picking the Right School
Mati Sicherer, EdD, is a high school counselor in special education with a focus on learning disabilities. She has worked in education for more than 20 years.