Colloquial Cambodian provides a step-by-step course in Cambodian as it is written and spoken today.
Colloquial Cambodian has been developed by a linguist and an experienced Cambodian language professor and combines an accessible approach with a thorough treatment of the language, equipping learners with the essential skills needed to communicate confidently and effectively in Cambodian in a broad range of situations. No prior knowledge of the language is required.
Key features include:
- progressive coverage of speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills
- jargon-free explanations of grammar
- an extensive range of focused and stimulating exercises
- realistic and entertaining dialogues covering a broad variety of scenarios
- coverage of the Cambodian writing script
- useful vocabulary lists throughout the text
- additional resources available at the back of the book, including a full answer key, a grammar summary, bilingual glossaries, and translations of dialogues and reading passages.
Balanced, comprehensive, and rewarding, Colloquial Cambodian is an indispensable resource both for independent learners and for students taking courses in Cambodian.
Accompanying audio material is available for free download from www.routledge.com/9780415524070 in MP3 format. Recorded by native speakers, the audio complements the book and will help enhance learners’ listening and speaking skills.
Table of Contents
Introduction 1. Greeting and Self-Introduction 2. Family 3. Time and Date 4. Appointments and Daily Routines 5. At the Open Market 6. Souvenirs and Clothing 7. Food and Restaurant 8. Vocations and Employment 9. Locations and Directions 10. Weather and Seasons 11. Leisure Activities 12. Travelling 13. Hotel and Tickets 14. Emergencies and Hospital 15. Post Office and Banking. Grammar Summary. Key to Exercises. Translations of Dialogues. Translations of Passage Readings. Glossary Cambodian English. Glossary English Cambodian.
Chhany Sak-Humphry is Associate Professor and Coordinator of Khmer Language Program at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa, USA