Colloquial Czech provides a step-by-step course in Czech as it is written and spoken today. Combining a user-friendly approach with a thorough treatment of the language, it equips learners with the essential skills needed to communicate confidently and effectively in Czech in a broad range of situations. No prior knowledge of the language is required.
Key features include:
• progressive coverage of speaking, listening, reading and writing skills
• structured, jargon-free explanations of grammar
• an extensive range of focused and stimulating exercises
• realistic and entertaining dialogues covering a broad variety of scenarios
• useful vocabulary lists throughout the text
• additional resources available at the back of the book, including a full answer key, a grammar summary and bilingual glossaries
Balanced, comprehensive and rewarding, Colloquial Czech will be an indispensable resource both for independent learners and students taking courses in Czech.
Audio material to accompany the course is available to download free in MP3 format from www.routledge.com/cw/colloquials. Recorded by native speakers, the audio material features the dialogues and texts from the book and will help develop your listening and pronunciation skills.
Abbreviations used. Introduction. Pronunciation guide. 1. Welcome to Prague! 2. What are you doing? 3. The family and work 4. City and housing estate 5. Culture and the flat 6. Transport, travel, weather 7. Food, clothes, body 8. Telephone and the week 9. Colours and places 10. The visit 11. The shop and groceries 12. The hotel – what time is it? 13. Friendship and leisure time 14. The department store and tourism 15. Conditions and living standards 16. Pub and restaurant 17. Colloquial Czech 18. Standard written Czech Grammar summary. Key to exercises. Czech–English glossary. English–Czech glossary. Index of language points.