Currants, Gooseberries, and Jostaberries
A Guide for Growers, Marketers, and Researchers in North America
Rediscover the economic potential of growing Ribes cultivars in the United States and Canada!
Currants, Gooseberries, and Jostaberries: A Guide for Growers, Marketers, and Researchers in North America explores the biology and history of growing these small fruits as commercial crops in North America. This book provides authoritative information on the potential risks and profits of establishing a currant or gooseberry farm and offers step-by-step details for cost-effective set-up, maintenance, and post-harvest activities. This book will be a reliable reference for prospective growers and Ribes researchers.
Currants, Gooseberries, and Jostaberries presents in detail the necessary components of successful Ribes culture farming, including:
- site and soil selection
- design of planting site
- plant propagation
- cultivar selection
- cultural practice
- pest and disease management
- harvesting and marketing
The book supplies the latest production figures for Ribes crops worldwide to help you choose which crops to grow. It also contains detailed information on fruit biochemistry, allowing you to market to human health industries. Currants, Gooseberries, and Jostaberries is the first North American publication to focus exclusively on Ribes culture in more than 50 years. It’s your one-stop resource for up-to-date information this side of the Atlantic Ocean.
Currants, Gooseberries, and Jostaberries provides you with tables, figures, and appendices, such as
- a table of the state regulations governing the importation and growing of currants, gooseberries, and jostaberries as listed by the Department of Agriculture
- calendars of what you need to do throughout the year to prepare, plant, and manage Ribes crops
- a list of cultivars available in North America
- tables of suggested parentage for currants and gooseberries to breed for improved fruit and juice quality, disease resistance or frost resistance, or improved mechanics for harvest
- a site selection checklist
- an enterprise budget showing typical costs of producing currants and gooseberries for sale in the market