This book examines the challenges confronting the practice of democracy and governance in Nigeria.
The book examines the theoretical underpinnings and the procedural and institutional components of democratic practice in Nigeria, including the challenges associated with elections, the legislature, the media and gender issues. Approaching the pluralistic characteristics of the Nigerian state and how they impede democratisation through contributions by experts and scholars in the field, the book analyses the issues and nuances inherent to governance and democracy in Nigeria, as well as domestic policy process, global governance and human security.
Democratic Practice and Governance in Nigeria will be of interest to students and scholars of African politics and democratisation.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction: An Overview of Democracy and Governance in Nigeria OM Fagbadebo
2. The Theory and Practice of Democracy and Governance in Contemporary Nigeria OM Fagbadebo
3. Election Litigation and Democratic Governance in Nigeria E Oni and LA Adeleke
4. The Legislature and the Upsurge of Governance Crisis in Nigeria I Moheeb
5. The Media, Politics and Governance in Nigeria RO Olaopa and IT Odeyemi
6. Democratic Governance and Women Political Participation in Nigeria T Adeogun
7. Ethnicity and the Challenge of Nation Building in Nigeria E Oni and P Adebisi
8. Federal Structure and Intergovernmental Relations in Nigeria S Lafenwa
9. Local Government Administration and Grassroots Development in Nigeria E Adesiyan
10. Public Policy Making and Performance in Nigeria DA Yagboyaju
11. Budgeting Process, Budget Performance and Economic Development in Nigeria N Olaseinde
12. Security Institutions and Democratic Governance in Nigeria E Ekwealor and M Faluyi
13. Border Management and Nigeria's National Security E Eselebo and S Okunade
14. Nigeria's Quest for UN Security Council Permanent Seat I Johnson
15. Foreign Direct Investment, Governance and Development in Nigeria S Folarin and A Aje
16. The Future of Democracy and Governance in Nigeria EBA Agbaje
Ebenezer Oluwole Oni is a lecturer in the department of Political Science and International Studies at Crescent University Abeokuta, Nigeria.
Omololu Fagbadebo is a Research Fellow in the Department of Public Management and Economics, Durban University of Technology, Durban South Africa.
Dhikru Adewale Yagboyaju is an Associate Professor in the Department of Political Science, University of Ibadan, Nigeria.