This book offers a coherent theoretical and multimodal perspective on research, teaching and learning in different non-formal, semi-formal, and formal learning environments.
Drawing on examples across a range of different settings, the book provides a conceptual framework for research on learning in different environments. It provides conceptual models around learning design which act as a framework for how to think about contemporary learning, a guideline for how to do research on learning in different sites, and a tool for innovative, collaborative design with other professionals. The book highlights concepts like multimodal knowledge representations; framing and setting; transformation, transduction, and re-design; signs of learning and cultures of recognition in different social contexts.
The book supports innovative thinking on how we understand learning, and will appeal to academics, scholars and postgraduate students in the fields of education research and theory, learning sciences, and multimodal and social semiotics. It will also be of interest to school leaders, university provosts and professionals working in education.
The Open Access version of this book, available at www.taylorfrancis.com, has been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial-No Derivatives 4.0 license.
Staffan Selander and Lisa Björklund Boistrup
1. Designs in and for learning – a theoretical framework
2. Designs in learning and rhizomatic webs
Fredrik Lindstrand & Staffan Selander
3. A semiotic and design-oriented approach to affordance
4. Design and research: Ethical considerations
Anna Åkerfeldt and Lisa Björklund Boistrup
5. Designing and researching vocational mathematics education
Lisa Björklund Boistrup & Matilda Hällback
6. Design workshops to develop a digital educator’s tool
7. Sites for learning and knowledge representations – the Middle Ages
Eva Insulander, Fredrik Lindstrand & Staffan Selander
8. The Touring Science Centre – An example of collaboration between a museum and schools
Eva Insulander & Elisabeth Öhman
9. Exhibition development through cross-institutional collaborative design
Eva Insulander & Eva Svärdemo Åberg
Epilogue: Design beyond the classroom and for the future of learning
Lisa Björklund Boistrup & Staffan Selander