Apple Academic Press
356 pages | 21 Color Illus. | 24 B/W Illus.
This new volume, the 7th in the Innovations in Agricultural & Biological Engineering book series, focuses on emerging trends, applications and challenges in food science and technology. While food science and technology is not a new field, it is constantly changing due to new technology, new science, and new demands. This multidisciplinary book not only considers food processing, preservation, and distribution, but it also taken into account the consumer’s wants and needs.
Included is a report of the status of agricultural production and food processing industries in India with a national and international perspective. The book then goes on to explore new and emerging trends in the science and technology in the field, including
• applications of nuclear magnetic resonance in food processing and packaging management
• ultrasound processing
• application of biocomposite polymers in food packaging
• bioprocessing and biorefinery approaches for sustainable fisheries
• adding value to food from food waste through biotechnological intervention
• functional foods and the fortification of foods
Covering a broad selection of topics in the field, the volume will be of interest to food scientists and technologists, food process engineers, researchers, faculty and students, and many others the food science and technology industry.
"This book encompasses versatile aspects of emerging scientific technologies associated with food industry, such as applications of nuclear magnetic resonance and ultrasound processing to food processing. It addresses niche topics like value-added product recovery from food wastes and cereal fortification with ease and emphasis. The food industry will find this book to be an intellectually enriched handbook incorporating various aspects of food processing in a concise and unembellished manner. This book will prove to be a holy grail of pertinent food technology database for students aspiring to be associated with food processing industry."
—Harita R. Desai, PhD, Institute of Chemical Technology (formerly UDCT), Mumbai, India
"The book is an authoritative, comprehensive, conceptually sound, and highly informative compilation of recent advances in various important emerging areas of food technology. It contains outstanding chapters written by scientists working in this field for a good number of years. The in-depth literature review and state-of-the-art treatment of the scientific and technological information means that the book can serve as an essential reference source to students and researchers in universities and research institutions as well act as a guideline for the food processors. "
—J. Chitra, PhD, IIT Kharagpur, Kharagpur, India
Part I: Food Science and Technologies: Status, Emerging Applications and Challenges
1. Status of Agricultural Production and Food Processing Industries in India with National and International Perspective
Gaganjyot Kaur and Jagbir Rehal
2. Challenges in Lipase Mediated Synthesis of Food Flavor Ester Compounds
Anshu Singh and Rintu Banerjee
Part II: Food Science and Technologies: Emerging Trends and Advances
3. Role of Hydration in Grain Processing: A Review
4. Applications of Nuclear Magnetic Resonance in Food Processing and Packaging Management
Dipendra Kumar Mahato, Deepak Kumar Verma, Sudhanshi Billoria, Mandira Kopari, P. K. Prabhakar, Ajesh Kumar V., Sunil Manohar Behera, and Prem Prakash Srivastav
5. A Review on Principles and Applications of Ultrasound Processing Gabriela John Swamy, Sangamithra Asokapandian, and Chandrasekar Veerapandian
6. Minimal Processing of Fruits and Vegetables
agbir Rehal, Deepika Goswami, Hradesh Rajput, and Harshad M. Mangde
Part III: Bioprocess Engineering and Biotechnology: Applications and Products
7. Application of Biocomposite Polymers in Food Packaging: Review
Arijit Nath, Arpia Das, and Chiranjib Bhattacharjee
8. Value-Added Product Recovery from Fruit and Vegetable Waste Through Biotechnological Intervention
9. An Overview of Bioprocessing and Biorefinery Approach for Sustainable Fisheries
Vegneshwaran V. Ramakrishnan, Winny Routray, and Deepika Dave
Part IV: Foods for Better Human Health
10. Fortification of Paddy and Rice Cereals
Shruti Pandey and A. Jayadeep
11. Functional Foods from Indian Subcontinent
Arpita Das, Arijit Nath, and Runu Chakraborty
12. Phytochemistry and Anti-Oxidative Effects of Aspalathus linearis Herbal Tea: A Review
Ademola Ayeleso, Mutiu Idowu Kazeem, Taiwo Ayeleso, and Emmanuel Mukwevho
Appendix A: Food Processing Equipment and Their Applications