Plant diseases cause yield loss in crop production, poor quality of produce, and great economic losses as well. Knowledge of the perpetuation and spread of the pathogens and various factors affecting disease development is an important need. Disease diagnosis is the prime requirement for determining preventive or curative measures for effective disease management. This new 2-volume set, Diseases of Field Crops, helps to fill the need for research on plant diseases, their effects, how they spread, and effective management measures to mitigate their harmful consequences.
The volumes in this set showcase recent advances in molecular plant pathology and discuss appropriate diagnostic techniques for identification of causal agents and diseases, providing the information necessary to establish management strategies. The chapters in these two volumes include detailed description of symptoms, causal organisms, disease cycles, epidemiology, and management techniques of economically important diseases. The volumes explore existing strategies and offer new methods that can be used in an integrated manner and with a comprehensive approach for the management of major diseases of the field crops. Also taken into consideration is the impact of global climate change on the spread and severity of plant diseases.
This volume covers pulses, oil seeds, narcotics, and sugar crops. Each of the chapters focuses on one crop, with a detailed account of symptoms, causal organisms, disease cycles, epidemiology, and management of the diseases caused by fungi, bacteria and viruses. Some crops discussed include green gram, chickpeas and peas, lentils, soybeans, groundnuts, sunflowers, sugarcane, tobacco, and others. Volume 1 focuses on cereals, small millets, and fiber crops.
Volume 2: Pulses, Oil Seeds, Narcotics, and Sugar Crops
1. Current Status of Bengal Gram Diseases and Their Management Strategies
K. K. Sharma and Ashish Kumar
2. Current Status of Chickpea Diseases and Their Integrated Management
Durga Prasad Awasthi and Ranganathswamy Math
3. Important Diseases of Field Pea (Pisum sativum Var. Arvense) and Their Management
A. Khulbe and K. K. Sharma
4. Important Diseases of Green Gram (Vigna radiata L. Wilczek) and Their Management
Jai Singh, K. K. Mishra, and A. K. Chaubey
5. Integrated Disease Management of Horse Gram (Macrotyloma uniflorum)
Upma Dutta, Sachin Gupta, Anamika Jamwal, and Sonika Jamwal
6. Diseases of Lentil (Lens esculentus Moench) and Their Management
Ranganathswamy Math, A. K. Patibanda, and J. N. Srivastava
7. Diseases of Pigeon Pea (Cajanus cajan L. Millsp.) and Their Management
Manoj Kumar Kalita
8. Integrated Disease Management in Pigeonpea
Sanjeev Kumar et al.
9. Important Diseases of Soybean Crop and Their Management
V. K. Yadav et al.
10. Current Status of Castor Diseases and Their Management
N. M. Gohel, B. K. Prajapati, and Harshil V. Parmar
11. Current Status Groundnut (Arachis hypogae L.) Diseases and Their Management
Kottramma C. Addangadi and Ranganathswamy Math
12. Current Status of Linseed (Linum usitatisimum L.) Diseases and Their Management
Ranganathswamy Math and Durga Prasad Awasthi
13. Present Scenario of Rapeseed-Mustard Diseases and Their Integrated Management
P. D. Meena and Ashish Sheera
14. Important Diseases of Sesamum (Sesamum indicum L.) and Their Management
V. B. Singh et al.
15. Sunflower Diseases and Their Management by Integrated Approach
Kothakota Venkataramanamma, Lingan Rajendran, and C. Gopalakrishnan
16. Diseases of Taramira (Eruca sativa Mill.) and Their Management: An Indian Perspective
K. K. Sharma and J. N. Srivastava
17. Current Status of Smut Disease of Sugarcane and Its Management in India
Geeta Sharma and Jai Singh
18. Diseases of Tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum Linn.) and Their Management
K. Jayalakshmi, H. Ravindra, and J. Raju