This comprehensive, integrated teaching resource provides students with the tools and methodologies they need to effectively negotiate the multiple dynamics that emerge from difference, and to appropriately respond to issues of marginalization and social injustice.
Written from an American perspective, the book not only covers the traditional topics of race, gender, ethnicity, and social class, but explores emerging trends around “isms” (racism, sexism). This second edition includes two new chapters: one addressing social identity diversity and leadership in the workforce, and the other examining under-representation of diversity in the scientific, technical, and film workforce. This edition also features an updated chapter on social justice as an emerging diversity paradigm; this includes a conceptual framework to advance the ideology of organizational social justice.
End-of-chapter questions encourage students to engage in difficult conversations, and case studies stimulate students’ awareness of real-world issues that emerge from diversity, helping students to develop the broad range of skills they need to mediate or resolve diversity issues as future professionals. Additional links, slides, multiple choice quizzes, and essay questions can be found online as a part of this book’s Instructor Resources.
Foreword - George Henderson, Ph.D.
1. Historical Perspectives for Studying Diversity in the Workforce - Chaunda L. Scott
2. Suggested Theories, Models, and Frameworks Used to Address Emerging Diversity Issues in the Workforce - Chaunda L. Scott
3. Exploring the Relationship Between the Organizational Culture and Diversity in the Workforce - Marilyn Y. Byrd
4. Race and Diversity in the Workforce - Marilyn Y. Byrd
5. Gender and Diversity in the Workforce - Brenda Lloyd-Jones, Lisa Bass, and Gaetane Jean-Marie
6. Ethnicity and Diversity in the Workforce - Chaunda L. Scott and Terrance R. McClain
7. Developing Human Resource Development Competencies to Manage Sexual Orientation and Transgender Diversity Issues in the Workforce - Michael P. Chaney and. Lisa Hawley
8. Social Class and Diversity in the Workforce - Marilyn Y. Byrd, Jose Martinez, and Chaunda L. Scott
9. Spirituality and Diversity in the Workforce - Marilyn Y. Byrd
10. Intergenerational Tensions in the Workforce - Brenda Lloyd-Jones and Jody A. Worley
11. Linguistic Profiling in the Workforce - Claretha Hughes and Ketevan Mamiseishvili
12. Personal/Physical Appearance Stigmatizing in the Workforce - Cynthia Sims
13. Visible and Invisible Disabilities in the Workforce: Exclusion and Discrimination - L. Scott and Marilyn Y. Byrd
14. Re-Emergence of Racial Harassment and Racial Hate Symbols in the Workforce - Marilyn Y. Byrd and Chaunda L. Scott
15. Cross-Cultural Teams: Workforce Opportunities and Challenges - Trammell Bristol and Chaunda L. Scott
16. Underrepresentation of Diversity in the Scientific, Technical and Film Workforce - Chaunda L. Scott
17. Social Identity Diversity and Leadership in the Workforce - Marilyn Y. Byrd
18. Re-Conceptualizing and Re-Visioning Diversity in the Workforce: Toward a Social Justice Paradigm - Marilyn Y. Byrd