Dynamics of Youth Agency in Times of Crisis
Beyond the Impasse in the Mediterranean?
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after December 20, 2021
This book examines the political economy of the Middle East and North Africa, and how it impacts young people’s civic and political participation today.
The edited volume analyses the extent to which young people influence public policies, social, cultural and economic structures, and how on the other hand these young people are influenced by the same structures. It focuses on the politics and agency of youth, and how they impact social change and continuity in the Middle East and North Africa.
The book will be of great value to students, scholars and researchers interested in Youth Movements, MENA, Comparative Politics and Political Economy.
The chapters in this book were originally published as a special issue of the journal, Mediterranean Politics.
Table of Contents
Introduction: Beyond the Impasse? Dynamics of youth agency in times of crisis
1. Looking South: What can Youth Studies in the Global North learn from research on youth and policy in the Middle East and North African countries?
Robert MacDonald and Hannah King
2. Working class youth transitions as a litmus test for change: labour crisis and social conflict in Arab Mediterranean countries
Maria Cristina Paciello and Daniela Pioppi
3. Youth socio-economic and political grievances: Bringing the ‘Political’ back into understanding contestation in the MENA
4. Rethinking justice beyond human rights. Anti-colonialism and intersectionality in the politics of the Palestinian Youth Movement
Lynn Welchman, Elena Zambelli and Ruba Salih
5. Using the clustering method for a heterogeneous reading of Lebanese youth
Mona Harb, Sami Atallah and Mohamad Diab
Conclusion: Euro-Mediterranean partnership and youth policies in the MENA: why policy discourse travels but implementation doesn’t
Emma Murphy and Nadine Sika
Nadine Sika is Associate Professor of Comparative Politics at the American University in Cairo. She is author of Youth Activism and Contentious Politics in Egypt: Dynamics of Continuity and Change (2017). She is book reviews editor of Mediterranean Politics and associate editor of Democratization.