Extensive coverage of the political, economic and social affairs of the region. This impartial up-to-date survey of the countries and territories that make up the region includes:
- incisive analysis by acknowledged experts
- the latest statistics on the major economic indicators and population
- invaluable directory material.
- leading authorities on the region analyse topics of regional importance including: An Economic Survey of the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS); International Relations of Russia and the CIS; Separatism and Islamist Militancy in the North Caucasus; The Politics of Energy in the Caspian Sea Region; Poverty and Social Welfare; The Politics of Water in Central Asia; and Environmental Degradation.
Individual chapters on every country containing:
- an introductory survey, containing essays on the geography, recent history and economy of each country, which includes a map and chronology
- an extensive statistical survey of economic indicators, which include area and population, health and welfare, agriculture, forestry, fishing, mining, industry, finance, trade, transport, tourism, media and education
- a full directory containing names, addresses, contact numbers and e-mail and internet addresses for the following areas: the constitution, the government, legislature, local government, political organizations, diplomatic representation, the judiciary, religion, the media, finance, trade and industry, transport, tourism, culture, education, social welfare, the environment and defence
- in-depth coverage of autonomous, sovereign and separatist territories, including comprehensive information on the constituent units of the Russian Federation
- a bibliography, providing sources for further research.
Who's Who in Eastern Europe, Russia and Central Asia
- biographical details of more than 160 of the leading political figures in the region.
- detailed information on the following: regional organizations; research institutes; a select periodicals bibliography and a select books bibliography.
'Eastern Europe, Russia and Central Asia is an important new guide to the region.' - Reference Reviews