This book is an edited volume which contains empirical studies on determinants of poverty and its reduction in Africa. It looks at multidimensional measures of poverty, production and productivity-related factors, policies influencing poverty and random, hazardous but preventive factors influencing poverty levels and their reduction.
The book argues that we need to account for different dimensions of poverty, when it is measured and classified, and for identifying the determinants of poverty and factors reducing poverty.
The studies in the volume provide readers with a comprehensive picture of the state of poverty, its measurement, causal factors and efficient policies and practices in poverty reduction on the African continent as a whole and also in selected countries.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Economic Transformation for Poverty Reduction in Africa (Almas HESHMATI)
Part A: Climate, Energy and Food Security
2. Impact of Weather Variations on Cereal Productivity and the Influence of Agro-Ecological Differences in Ethiopian Cereal Production (Oumer BERISSO Metaksa)
3. Vulnerability and Impact Assessment of Climate Change on East African Wildlife Tourism: A Study of Maasai Mara Ecosystem (Richard Kerongo MOSE)
4. Multidimensional Measure of Household Energy Poverty and its Determinants in Ethiopia (Mekonnen BERSISA)
5. Household Food Security and School Enrolment: Evidence from Malawi (Sunyoung LEE)
6. Analysis of Poverty and its Determinants in Rwanda (Masoomeh RASHIDGHALAM)
Part B: Taxes, Trade Openness and Capital
7. Assessing the Revenue Implications of Indirect Tax Reforms in Rwanda (Etienne NDEMEZO and Francis MENJO-BAYE)
8. Differential Impact of Trade Liberalization and Rural-Urban Income Inequalities on Poverty in African Countries (Kahsay BERHANE)
9. Effects of Capital Flight on Growth and Poverty Reduction in Ethiopia: Evidence from a Simulation Based Analysis (Alemayehu GEDA and Addis YIMER)
Part C: Employment, Gender Wage Differentials and Start-ups
10. Employment and Incidence of Poverty in Urban Ethiopia (Martha K. MELESE)
11. Impact of Gender Wage Differentials on Poverty and Inequalities in Cameroon (Pierre M. NGUETSE-TEGOUM and Justin BEM)
12. Econometric Analysis of Business Start-ups in Rwanda (Joseph NDAGIJIMANA, Tharcisse NZASINGIZIMANA and Almas HESHMATI)
Part D: Diversity, Conflicts and Hazardous Factors
13. A Within-Country Study of Conflict and Poverty in Nigeria (Chinasa I. IKELU)
14. The Cost of Motorcycle Accidents in Uganda (Richard SEBAGGALA, Fred MATOVU, Dan AYEBALE, Vincent KISENYI and Messarck KATUSIIMEH)
Almas Heshmati is Professor of Economics at Sogang University, South Korea, and at Jönköping International Business School, Jönköping University, Sweden.