Education, Equality and Human Rights
Issues of Gender, 'Race', Sexuality, Disability and Social Class
Prices & shipping based on shipping country
The fourth edition of Education, Equality and Human Rights has been fully updated to reflect the economic, political, social and cultural changes in educational and political policy and practice, as austerity continues and in the light of the EU referendum. Written by a carefully selected group of experts, each of the five equality issues of gender, ‘race’, sexuality, disability and social class are covered as areas in their own right as well as in relation to education.
Key issues explored include:
- human rights, equality and education
- women and equality, historically and now
- gender and education perspectives throughout time
- racism in the UK from the Empire to the present
- racism and education from imperial times to the May government
- the making and remaking of sexualities
- the challenges surrounding teaching and learning about sexuality in schools
- the struggle for disability equality
- inclusive education
- social class, Marxism and socialism
- social class inequality and education.
With an uncompromising and rigorous analysis of education and human rights and a foreword from Professor Peter McClaren, Education, Equality and Human Rights is an essential resource across a wide range of disciplines and for all those interested in education, social policy and human rights.
Table of Contents
Foreword by Peter McLaren: The Wretched State
Introduction: human rights, equality and education Mike Cole
- Unfinished business: women still unequal after all this time Jane Kelly
- Gender and education: perspectives through time Jane Martin
- Racism in the UK: continuity and change Mike Cole
- Racism and education: from Empire to May Mike Cole
- Sexualities, identities and equal rights: the making and remaking of sexualities Simon Forrest
- Time for straight talking: challenges and opportunities in teaching and learning about sexuality and homophobia in schools Simon Forrest
- Achieving disability equality: the continuing struggle Richard Rieser
- Inclusive education: implementing human Rights Richard Rieser
- Social Class, Marxism and socialism Mike Cole
- Mystification of production and feasibility of alternatives: social class inequality and education Alpesh Maisuria
Mike Cole is Professor in Education at the University of East London, UK.